Saturday, July 25, 2009

FINALLY

I am thinking about friends of the past. My best friend over the years was "Aunt Naomi". She was really my sister-in-law, but because we named our daughter Naomi after her, she became aunt naomi to make it clear.

When our family was in Brazil living in Novo Hamburgo, Rio Grande do Sul, we got a letter from her in November saying she was planning to fly to see us and would probably be arriving on January 16. As we didn't have a phone and it took forever for communication to arrive, January came and we had received no further confirmation of her plans, so on the 16th we all got in the car and drove the 45 miles to the airport. We decided we would meet any plane that she could conceivably be arriving on, and spend the rest of the time just goofing around.

Sure enough.. there she was! What a wonderful reunion. She had brought a trunk of goodies for us, but it was nowhere to be found. They informed us they would let us know when it arrived.

So we trotted back home. What a great thing for her to come so far! She suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, so abhored drafts of any kind. Somewhere I have a picture of her sewing, with the zipper at the back of her dress open, the skirt hiked up, and a big square fan blowing on her from about four feet away. 106 degrees will do that to ya.

Quite a long time went past and we were notified that the trunk had arrived so we went to procure it. By some miracle everything was intact. Oh happy day!

More on the next post. Take care.

4 comments:

Karen L said...

This is the stuff I love to read about. Please keep it coming.

Anonymous said...

So glad you're back writing again.. Andrea and Jim have been here the last week so I haven't been writing my e-mail. Just sent one today. Our sunny day is interrupted now with what looks like a rain storm coming. Clouds and lightening.
You didn't mention how beautiful Naomi was...a former Miss Iowa --am I right? And her daughter , too, is so lovely and were and are two brilliantly exceptional women..
Love, Fran.

Ms. Larson said...

Great blogs Ma! I miss Aunt Naomi! Crazy to think of going to pick her up with NO CELL PHONE! Haha. Love you, keep writing

Karen W said...

Amazing to think of how far communication has come!! Just think if you could Facebook Aunt Naomi.

I would love to see a picture of her. She sounds beautiful. She must have loved you dearly to travel so far and bring a trunk full of treasure also.

Thanks for the post - I enjoyed it
I missed you at the gym. KL kept me company as she had to wait for her sauna to warm up.