Tuesday, July 28, 2009

More about Aunt Naomi


She was never Miss Iowa. I don't think it would occur to her to enter a beauty pageant. She was, however, beautiful in every sense of the word.


After she arrived we spent lots of time talking. Of course! And then she settled in to sew and be helpful in every way she could be. When she discovered that one of my friend's sister was also a victim of rheumatoid arthritis and was in a sanatorium nearby she insisted we go to visit her. I think she was curious as to how it was to have rheumatoid arthritis in Brazil.

The visit was complicated by their speaking two different languages, but I translated as much as I could. Her name was Lucy and she tried to support herself by painting goose eggs, one of which is shown in the picture above. Aunt Naomi had great empathy for her.
Each time I see that goose egg, it reminds me of our friendship and our trip to see Lucy.

I am very sentimental, and love collecting things that remind me of events. The wooden cup that the egg sits on was made by my uncle Carl. He was a master of both wood working and painting walls to imitate wallpaper.
take care!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loretta, you were the one who told me to buy something at places I visited as remembrances. I did this often. When I was working I traveled every summer to some convention or conference and although I have moved many times in widowhood, I have these things that follow my moves with me. Just yesterday I carried the small purse I bought in Key West (John's wedding). Now is the time for reviving memories. It's called old age....Love, Fran.

Karen W said...

I love to reminisce! I think it is a personality trait. Hannah LOVES to watch her baby videos and look at her pictures a few times every year.

LOVE the egg!!

How is tomorrow looking???

Karen L said...

Beautiful remembrances! Your stories put a smile on my face.