Sunday, October 11, 2009

What were your aspirations when you were 8 or 9?

When we were flying home for furlough in the U. S. John was 8 or 9 years old. We were flying Varig which is one of the Brazilian airlines. We were served our dinner with real china, linen napkins, and lots of attention from the steward. George asked him if John could possibly visit the cabin. The people in the cabin said, "sure" so he proceeded to go there and stay for TWO hours. When he returned to his seat he told us he had decided to be a pilot.

Now, all those years later, he is a pilot. And his son Matthew just had an opportunity to fly in a glider. I will soon be visiting him again, so I will have to ask him what his plans are.

Someone once told me that whatever you are when you are 9 is what is the true you. Does that seem right to you? I was a feisty character who wouldn't let anyone pick on me without a fight.
How about you?

4 comments:

Karen L said...

Wow....how cool was that for Matthew! Gratifying for you and George to see John live out his dream's.

Did Naomi want to be a teacher at the age of 9?

I don't recall what my thoughts were at that age.

Oh yeah! New Blogs keep us readers happy.

Karen W said...

Um ~ Well, it depends on how you look at it. When I was 9 I was going to be either a nun or a model. Because Iloved God and pretty clothes. Now I am a born again Christian and I still get to wear pretty clothes so I have the best of both!!! But my title is neither nun nor model.

Interesting concept though. Glad to see your fiestyness never changed. You are like Mary Poppins to me . . . Practically Perfect just the way you are!

Anonymous said...

I don't remember what I was at nine. I know that at ten, the hired girl prepared my birthday party because mother was incapacitated with swollen edema legs from her pregnancy with the new baby sister I was soon to have. My birthday is on May 20th and my feisty sister was born on June 8th. I always loved reading but I don't think at 9 I knew what a librarian did. Fran.

Karen L said...

Fran: your comment just added another wonderful "read" to this blog. Being sisters with wonderful memories from the same family how perfectly it all fits together.

What I do remember about that age is that my parent's were building a new house right in front of the old one. If I recall I spent time watching a younger sister (a baby at the time) because my mom and dad were so hand's on with the project. All this while living and working on a dairy farm. I do recall our first night spent in that house and how exciting it was for all of us!