Monday, August 17, 2009

Athletic? Hardly.

Okay. Those of you who know my astonishing ability to fall have followed my adventures through the years. I developed a technique which became known as "Tuck and Roll." The most spectacular example of this was the time I fell on the up escalator at Ohare airport. I was about half way up when I lost my balance, fell, tucked and rolled and rolled and rolled.... the steps kept renewing themselves. Happily, someone eventually turned off the escalator. I suffered a cut on my head and inumerable bruises, but survived relatively unscathed.

I thought that was possibly my last and most spectacular example of my expertise in this regard.

I was wrong. Friday night I was fast asleep on my back in my cozy bed, dreaming a happy dream, when I decided to ROLL over. I hadn't realized I was so close to the edge and fell off the bed. I found that I had managed to TUCK my head securely between the mattress and the bed side table. I got quite an egg on the side of my head.

I had reversed my usual method... I had rolled first and tucked second! I do not recommend this variation and hope never to repeat it. Nope... from now on I will tuck and roll in that order.

I still have an egg on the side of my head, but it has not yet turned into a bruise. My hearing is slightly affected, as well. Yahoo.

Take care.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear - that's not fun. Carl fell out of bed two or three times, once cracking his head, which bled and bled from 11 pm till 5 am, despite our trying to stop it, then went to er for 7 stitches. He was on coumidin.
Now we have a very nice little rail, it's ok, doesn't look like an invalid (with the accent on the first syllable, and not the second), and he can relax and sleep knowing he won't fall out. It was a freebie, given by Lorraine Olson, now Lorraine Sheppard, as she doesn't do geriatric care anymore in her home.
So check that out before it happens again.
I hope the egg diminishes and the hearing comes back. Love, Carol Jean

Anonymous said...

PS Add this at the end of the work invalid: " 's bed" thank you..

Anonymous said...

change "work" to 'word". Thank you.

Karen L said...

Vicki; tuck and roll is not a sport! Please heal fast! I am at a resort east of Brainerd for a MN Corn Growers retreat until Wednesday. Just finished lunch and now I am going to chill out at the pool (which is lakeside). Can it get any better?

Karen W said...

AND you still managed to come to the gym? MY MY. Life with you is such an adventure!

Did you get a good laugh out of it after you realized what you had done? After the pain had subsided?

I am heading home for the day. Nice to be done at a decent time!!

Hope to see you Wed.

Ms. Larson said...

Um, you could have told me over the PHONE, mom, instead of waiting for me to read it on your BLOG, mom.

Anonymous said...

Yikes!I think you fell out of bed etc. just to have something stupendous to write about in your blog. My only suggestion is --either sleep in your lounge chair or remove the table and push your side of the bed against the wall. Or do the Carl thing with a railing. There are all kinds of silly suggestions for most of your falls but the preventions are getting harder to think up. Love, Fran.