Monday, August 11, 2008

Rain!

When all else fails show a painting of pears. This painting now lives near Omaha!

It is raining today which is good news as our lawns and gardens certainly needed the moisture. I think that our son and his kids will be arriving in a couple of days and I certainly hope that it won't be raining all the time while they are here! George is measuring the backyard for a croquet game. It is hard for us old folks to find enough for kids to do since we don't have our own personal lake. There are certainly plenty of lakes close by, of course. We should have a grand time!

I am more than happily watching the Olympics. The 4x100 meter relay was absolutely mind blowing. The US team won by 3/100th of a second. It was awesome... France had made the mistake of trash-talking before the race, so we found a way to win. Doubly awesome.

Tonight more swimming and other stuff. The US women's Fencing Team won all three medals. Wahoo. Volleyball (both beach and indoor) is fun to watch. Let's face it, I am addicted.

Take care.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, I would imagine you won't be seen at the gym while the kids are here. I know how disappointed you are since you are such a devoted gym member!! Although it will be tough we will try to make it through without you.

Hannah likes to turn the Olympics on at night. We did get to see a little of the mens gymnastics and swimming last night. The strength and control is impressive to say the least! It is almost like watching you at the gym! (At least I got a good laugh out of that one)! I crack myself up!! Can you tell it is the end of the day??

Well, enough ramblings . . . I thought maybe if I post a long comment it will spur you to post another blog.

Anonymous said...

I am watching ,too. I thought the opening of the olympics were the most artistic, engineering spectacle I had ever seen or ever hope to see. And watching the Phellps swimming Is fantastic. Love the gymnastics. I have watched all volleyball. I haven't seen any of the tennis. Back to watching. I am knitting two little sweaters for my twin greatgranddaugters while I watch. Love Fran

Anonymous said...

I went to the library this afternoon and immediately looked up the book you recommended Broken for You. I took back the two I had finished and had started reading the Roger Angell one. I had decided to give it a try and I am captivated. When I got to the chapter when he writes "I was born in 1920" I realized why I loved this one.
The John Bayley one Widower's House was about an old man --well there is a thread here. I went from the library to a few blocks to ˇhe Park Bakery and cafe. Had a cup of coffee! and a lemon biscotti. Sat and started your book suggestion. Love, Fran

Anonymous said...

Library, bakery, cafe, coffee, lemon biscotti. .. . these are just a few of my favorite things.

Sounds like life is good for you Fran!!!

Anonymous said...

I suppose you are busy with John, Matthew and Hannah visiting but those pears are going to turn bad if you don't move on. I am loving the book you recommended. Saw the synchronized swimming yesterday. Always liked that. Enough volleyball, thank you very much. I'm off to the Panhandler--it's a store for kitchen type stuff. I need a spice rack. Love, Fran