Friday, November 21, 2008

OK, already

Yup, I know. A blog once in awhile is good. Once you've started you have to keep on. . . . Unless you just decide to quit. I don't want to quit, though, so here goes:

I was born during the great depression. Now that we are in the middle of what might topple over into another severe economic disaster, I think of all the things that have happened during my life time.

Take typewriters. When I was in highschool my father insisted I take a summer course at the Madison Business College to learn typing and shorthand. I was a star in the shorthand and did well in the typing. Two weeks after the course was over I couldn't read a shorthand note I had left for myself! Learning something too quickly doesn't necessarily stick. The typing is something I am still using now, however, to write this blog. And Pop was right, typing is a valuable skill.

When I went to college I fainted with joy when they came out with a type of paper called "corrasable bond." You could erase a typed image from the paper and leave no evidence of it. What a boon. I once typed six papers in six nights after lights out in the dorm. I had to hold a flashlight between my right ear and shoulder to do so. I had a terrible sore shoulder and crick in the neck at the end of that endeavor, but I passed all my courses with flying colors.

And then came the electric typewriter. Now with the computer life is a breeze. Just keep fiddling with the image on the screen until it is just right and then print out as many copies as you wish. Wow.

My next blog will take up some other advance or regression in my lifetime. I'm sure you are all waiting with bated breath. While you wait, take care.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad to get your blog. Sounds like you are feeling better. I never forget how much typing effort it took to get a perfect copy of papers in college. Manual labor that is easily dealt with now. and the dejavu of days with FDR. Looks like Obama is digging in right away. It took FDR a couple terms to get the country turned around. Remember the long lines of people lined up to get food. 2 million without jobs, they said today. As the Norwegians say oofda. Fran.

Anonymous said...

More reminiscing please! I love to read it. I was going to write "hear" it but erased the word with the slight action of a backspace key. I too remember when my mom told me I had to take a WHOLE year of typing in high school, not just a semester. Her words were: You never know when you are going to need it!

Anywho...back to the reminiscing...when I thought to type "hear" it, it was like I could hear you telling the story out loud.

Anonymous said...

Typewriters. Interesting.

I have used those type of machines, so to have a computer to make changes easily is truly appreciated!

KL you are missing all the Vicki moves at the gym!! She got the shoulders moving on Friday!! When do you leave on your trip?

Ms. Larson said...

I actually loved my typing class. Mrs. Rylander was my teacher and she was great. I still use the skill to this day...like right now, for example.

Anonymous said...

5....I feel like I have time to read again so BLOG Please! Entertain me.