Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday?

Happy Black Friday! When has it ever been called that before? Why is it called that? Perhaps it is the day that ensures that the store winds up in the black? Whatever.

Naomi and I wandered over to Herberger's and managed to buy some stuff at ridiculously low prices. We just got under the wire as the sale ended at 12 noon. We were there at 11:30. The line I was in to pay for my two sweatshirts and two vests was stationary for a long time. The person at the head of the line was trying to apply for a credit card and had been refused, and continued to protest. Finally a manager came and took him away to consult and freed up the charge machine. Three people had already left the line, and there were still seven ahead of me! However, I finally made it through in time!

Yup. I'll be stylin' at the gym, girls. Aren't you thrilled?

I bought a small turkey this year. Just white meat. I always make stuffing (dressing for those of you who prefer that) but this year there was no place to put the stuffing. We three had a very modest meal: Turkey, gravy, mashed potatoes, corn - and pumpkin pie with real whipped cream. It was yummy, but I must admit we did miss cranberries and sweet potato stuff with marshmallows. and rolls.

Many years ago our family had a 28 pound turkey that someone had given to us. Mom and Dad invited all the relatives and made a feast, but it snowed something fierce so no one could make it. We ate turkey left overs clear into the new year. I mean - twenty-eight pounds! However, if you have to have leftovers, turkey is great.

Hope you had a fine Thanksgiving! Lots to feel thankful for. Take care.

7 comments:

Ms. Larson said...

It was delish, Mom! Thanks for Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Thank you...my whining paid off.

Anonymous said...

28 pounds! Now that's a lot of turkey!! My brother-in-law smoked one turkey and deep fried another. Personally, my favorite was the smoked!! He enjoys doing the meat stuff. By stuff I mean, smoking, marinating, making his own sausage, jerky, sticks. . . . . .

So, we are the blessed little creatures who get to benefit from his hobby!

I was thrilled to see you at the gym. . on a Saturday nontheless!! Impressive! Hope it gets the juices flowing for MONDAY.

And, your new article of clothing was very festive. Loved the color on you!
Please don't wait a whole week before you blog again. . . please, please? And to help you with that. .. .

What is your favorite Christmas memory?

Anonymous said...

We had a great Thanksgiving..Lauren was here and for our dinner their neighbors Lou and BJ were there for the feast--both regular and one smoked turkey. I put the bones in my new crock pot and have plenty of chicken , vegetable soup. Lauren flew back to Asheville,NC today. Friday evening we had second balcony at the new Brewery to view the parade....then out to dinner at the Irish Pub.Lots of people and music. Fran

Ms. Larson said...

Aunt Fran! Sounds like you're having lots of fun! I'm so glad, but we miss you, N

Anonymous said...

Are you waiting for Christmas to write your next blog? I guess I'll phone! Fran.

Anonymous said...

I thought I was going to have to whine again....but with Fran on your tail you had better get crackin'.