Monday, June 29, 2009

odds and ends

I just finished "Careless in Red" by Elizabeth George. I love reading mystery stories that are also literary works. I especially like it when the characters grow and change through the various volumes of a series about certain characters. I think this series has been hurt by the transfer to British Television. I like to envision the characters as I have them in my brain, not as someone else has envisioned them. Bad books can make good movies. Great books rarely can.

We have had very bad news as our sister-in-law, Elaine, has suffered a stroke. Although she seems ok physically, we heard she was unable to speak. She has been such a positive light to my whole adolescent and adult life. She is truly a sister and a friend. We await further news. It is hard to be old and realize you cannot rush to the side of those you love when they are having difficulties. Not only is it difficult to do, you would just be a further burden for those you are trying to assist. So we send our prayers to God on their behalf.

Just a note: Why does "being in the dumps" have such a different meaning than "being in the dump."

Take care.

2 comments:

Karen L said...

I will be thinking of you and your family as you wait upon god's hand with Elaine's health.

You are so right on with your assessment of good books making poor movies and vice versa. I try not to watch a movie that has been made of a book I enjoyed reading as I usually have been disappointed. I have found that to be the case with music videos also. What I envisioned the song to be was so totally undone by the video. I read recently that music videos are getting to be "old school" also. Apparently a sign of progression but it just reminds me that life chugs on and I had better get on board with the changes.

Karen L said...

p.s. I was going to add that I am currently enjoying a Garrison Keillor book. "Pontoon" is a riotously hilarious read. His descriptive sentences keep me intrigued.