Sunday, December 07, 2008

Where were YOU?

There are some dates you never forget where you were when you heard the news. December the 7th is one of those. The occasion was more than 65 years ago yet all those who are still alive remember where they were when when they heard the news that the Japanese planes had attacked Pearl Harbor.

George was in the drug store buying cigarettes for his dad. He forgot the cigarettes and raced home to get his family to listen to the radio. He and his brother enlisted and his dad was already in the army having served in WWI and as an officer in the CCC.

I was with my brother. I guess I wasn't exactly WITH him, but I was pestering him as he listened to a radio he had rigged up in his bedroom closet which he used as his little office. If I'm not mistaken it was a little crystal set radio he had made up. We heard the news and rushed to inform our folks.

Moments which affect the course of events are just a few: The assassinations of JFK, Martin Luther King, Robert Kennedy come to mind. I'm sure there are some other dates which haven't come to my poor fevered brain. Can you think of any?

I'm looking out the window. We have had snow and there is bunny hopping out in the garden. I better not let the dog out right now! We are dog sitting for a couple of weeks. Lots of fun, but it reinforces our idea that we should not have a pet.

Take care.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life is good when I can read a post from my favorite author!

Enjoyed the sermon this morning on repenting. I learned there is more to asking forgiveness for ones sins. I think that to turn one's life around for the good is the path to being at peace God and our own self.

Anonymous said...

I should preview my comments first. There are some obvious flaws in my typing abilities. I could blame it on getting used to the keyboard on my new laptop but I need to accept the shortcomings of my own doings. I tend to do things in haste only to discover the errors later.

Anonymous said...

You were so young when this happened. I was a senior in college and as I remember it soon to come home for Christmas vacation. I had very little notion about what this would mean to my life. Fran

Anonymous said...

Nope ~ don't remember Pearl Harbor but I do remember the wedding of Princess Diana and Prince Charles, the massacre at Jonestown and the hostage situation in Iran.

Forgivness and repentence, ah, now there's a great conversation!! More often we think of forgiveness as being for the other person when in actuality it is for us!! Quite often the other person is NOT even aware we are upset therefore they go about their day with NOT a care but we are the ones who suffer. Stewing from the inside and losing peace and length of days. Not a bright move if you ask me!

That is free! I won't even charge for that one.

Anonymous said...

KW, you must have a degree that goes along with all that wisdom. You should hang out a shingle.

Anonymous said...

Remember where you were? I was watching the news last night and mention was made of it being the 28th anniversary of John Lennon being shot and killed. I do for some odd reason vividly recall that moment....I was a freshman in college, living in Dahl Hall at MSUM on the 3rd floor. We were having a floor Christmas party before everyone headed home for Christmas break. I can relive that moment in my mind.

Anonymous said...

You know wisdom comes from experience and this stubborn German, Irish, Polish person had to learn it the hard way. Infact, I am still in elementary school!!!!

John Lennon. . . maybe vaguely. . . I think I was still too young. More interested in watching clouds than listening to rock and roll.

Ms. Larson said...

Barack Obama becoming our first African American President!!! And what a good man he is!

Ms. Larson said...

PS Sorry my dog is renewing the idea you shouldn't have a pet! and thanks for taking him for a bit...the break has been good, but I miss him and can't wait to have him back!

Anonymous said...

Wow....9 comments and counting. (before this one) This my dear Vicki is our homage to you.