Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Ending....

Well. New Year's Eve. John is with friends. Matthew is also going to be at a sleep over with his buddy, and George and I are the old folks staying at home!

It feels great! We both have a killer cough but got medicine and cough drops today, so we are all prepared. Matthew was also sick, but has totally recovered today. I think if we had to go to a party we would just groan. There comes a time when parties should be under the oak trees out at Clara's Place for lunch. Of course, in this cold weather I suppose that wouldn't be practical, either! It has turned into a severly windy and cold day here, too. We had one day in the 70s and now it's really turned cold.

It's been a strange year. Lots of health challenges for George and me. Bronchitis and other stuff. Luckily, I have a short memory so I don't really remember every detail of my year... I just remember I have had other years when I have felt perkier! Of course, I have also had other years when it was worse.

My best wishes to you all. May God bless you and keep you in the coming year. To think that it will be 2009! It was just a moment ago that they were making all the fuss about the 2000 bugs. Can you remember waiting for all the dire effects? And here we are 9 years later. Wow.

Take care.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What in the heck is 2000 and bugs? I remember I was eighty and we had a family reunion at my brother's in McFarland.„wonderful year --I moved to Evansville and left Evanston where I had had 12 wonderful years. Also what is Facebook? I feel out f the loop.
I am looking forward to a wonderful 2009. It has been snowing for a bit today to make this a fairy wonderland. Greetings on New Year's Eve. Love Fran.

Anonymous said...

Greetings to everyone back in MN. We will arrive home on the 6th. New Year's was spent in Port Douglas QLD Australia. But I did not see it come in as I was in bed long before the arrival. This trip has been exhausting yet will be full of memories.

We went out to the Great Barrier Reef today. What a spectacular sight.

I have been away for 2 weeks now and it has been proven to me that I still love MN-even with the cold. If you ever come here, do so in what is their winter - the summer here is literally a sauna. I mean that in every sense of the word.

Christmas away was also strange....even for Jenna living in FL this winter. She had a moment when all she wanted to do was talk to Mom and Dad and the continent separation proved to be difficult.

So... Cheers to all of you and can't wait to see you.

Anonymous said...

The 2K bugs on computers, etc. Pundits predicted that the infrastructure of the country was going to be disrupted because there had been no allowance for a year past 1999. All of the controls for dams, communication systems, etc., were going to crash and chaos would ensue. It did not. But the apprehension was in the air. Vicki

Anonymous said...

Maybe it is just an emotional day for me but the fact that we all are in different parts of the world and can communicate like this is precious to me!! I can just hear your voices when you write!!

Fran, you will have to go to Facebook.com and sign up. Find Vicki or myself under the search and send us a friend invitation. We are able to upload pictures which you are able to see without having to send them to everyone in your e-mail!! Kind of like a blog but not as deep.

Karen, I would find it difficult to be apart from my family at Christmas. A friend of mine gave me a book for Christmas, "A glimpse of Heaven" Written by a Hospice nurse of her experiences with different families who have lost loved ones and their end days. Do you think that is what has me in an emotional mood??????

So far, of everyone I have talked to, no one has been awake for the turning of the new year! We were watching a movie with Hannah and fell asleep on the couch. Poor Hannah ~ a teenager should have more of a celebration for the new year than sleeping parents!!

You should know that Tim called when he left yesterday morning and the temp on his vehicle was -31. It had warmed to -27 when he got to Alex. That was not even including windchill! It did warm up to above 0 for the day. Now we have a brutal wind and it looks like Alaska! More snow is in the forecast. 15 inches the other day down by St Cloud. We had about 10 here. It is here that I stop and say, "AHHH, Clara's!!!" When I close my eyes I can see the bright blue sunny sky and the green trees with the lake in the background!! Those precious moments in the summer are what gets me through winter!! What are we going to do this year? If I remember right, they are not going to be open anymore.

Anonymous said...

WHEN ARE YOU COMING HOME????!!!!
Carol

Ms. Larson said...

Well I partied it up well into the New Year, drank enough champagne for all of you, so don't worry! Last year I think I was sleeping by 9:30 pm. Every year is different! Hey Aunt Fran, what city were you the childrens librarian in?

Anonymous said...

Naomi , that was in Wauwatosa, Wis.