Wednesday, December 17, 2008

We're Here!

After lots of starts and stops, we're finally in Virginia. Everything was going smoothly. We got to the Fargo Airport at 5, Got through the security deal, And then proceeded to wait... and wait... and wait! Then we got on the plane, and proceeded to wait... and wait... and wait.

Finally they told us that the machines they used to start the airplane couldn't be started because of the severe cold (-3). The starters for the airplane needed a jump start. So, we sat some more. Finally they told us to go back to the ticket counter and retrieve our bags. Which effectively meant we would have to arrange a different flight.

As we stood in line at the ticket counter for quite a long time, two hours after our flight had been supposed to take off, they announced that we should grab our bags and go back through security, the flight was going to take off!

So.. off with the shoes, the puffy red coat, the sheepskin vest, show the baggy with the 3 oz bottles, your i.d. , your bag and your carry aboard. Then, put it all back on again (You realize that this was for the second time!) and go back on the airplane. Half of the passengers had given up, so there were considerably fewer passengers.

At OHare we avoided escalators and had no trouble making a connection, even though the one we were booked on had left just as we were arriving in Chicago.

After that, we had a fairly mundane trip. John met us in Norfolk and drove us to his home at Yorktown. He returned to his job and then is taking Matthew to basketball practice. It's great to be here.

Hope Karen L. has a good trip today. Take care.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leaving tomorrow...packing and sorting at the moment. Getting to anxious.

Ms. Larson said...

Glad you are there safe! See you in a few days! My connector place is Atlanta, GA. Wonder if they have any escalators?

Anonymous said...

So glad you finally got there --and no escalator stories. One thing it accomplished for me --I am glad I am staying put. I am getting too old for that kind of travel. Jeff and Janiece leave Christmas Day for a couple weeks. Soon we should have our great grandson in Asheville, NC. Today I got out my walking sticks and got out to have my haircut. I am like the fans --I took a picture of Judi Dench along and told Dundee(she's my barber) that that's the way I wanted my hair cut. Love it. It is pretty much like I had it the last time you saw me, loretta. Gorgeous, right? Love, Fran.

Anonymous said...

Airport horror stories...chapter 1, we arrived late in SF and our connecting flight to Aukland would not let us board since it was less than an hour to take off....stranded in San Fransciso for 24 hours. NW gave us hotel room and meals but does not make up for the disappointment.

Also, had a 2 year old child behind me who kicked my seat almost continually for the 4 hour ride to SF.

Tired and frustrated....nearly in tears at this point.

Anonymous said...

I look at this blog over and over again. You must have some nifty material for blogs now --with a trip and all. Let's hear from you. Fran.