Saturday, March 21, 2009

MRI

I had an MRI yesterday. Of my brain! I am going to describe my experience.

After I was all signed in and had signed about 6 papers, I was turned over to a nice girl (oops! Young Woman) who had me put everything metal in a little locker... hearing aids, cell phone, lanyard, etc. Then I stuffed my jackets into the locker together with my tote bag. Luckily, I had not worn my winter coat... it would never have fit in the locker. I refuse to put my winter coat on. It is supposed to be SPRING. So I layer jackets.

I locked my locker and we took the key into the room with us. I also took off my shoes at the door, and laid my eyeglasses there on a shelf. She asked me what kind of music I preferred. I said, "Long hair." She looked confused, so I said "Classical." It's amazing what small things can illustrate your advanced age.

We went into a brightly lit room with a contraption on which I was to lie down. It reminded me of a giant cream colored cigar. I laid down and she put very substantial earphones on me. Then a cream colored plastic catcher's type head gear. Then she gave me a button deal that I could press to get out immediately if my claustrophobia kicked in. And so it started. The machine slid me into a very confined space. I never opened my eyes so I cannot describe it. I basically put myself in a relaxed dozy state and listened to the loud hammering (for once I was sort of glad I was deaf) and the classical music. It took about 40 minutes.

The experience was ok. Very interesting. No big deal.

Now I await the results!

Take care.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What prompted your having the MRI again? When will you get the results.? Your rendition is excellent. It beats my walking to the library. I shall have to brush up on my anecdoting. Fran.

Anonymous said...

As far as I know, I have never before had an MRI. I have had catscans, etc. I have a strange tightness in the dome of my head, to say nothing about extreme tremors in my hands and dizziness.
I hopefully will get results next week.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully the results and any further treatment will resolve the issues you have been having. You are a fighter and I believe this is just another bump-or should I say pothole this time of the year?-in this amazing journey called life.

Anonymous said...

How long before you get some return on MRI? Fran.

Anonymous said...

I'm back!!

So what have you heard about the MRI? I can hardly imagine getting one of those done. I would definitely have to close my eyes and listen to spa music!! Tim made me try a snowmobile helmet on that he was contemplating buying Hannah. He was thinking ~ if it fit both of us it would be an even better buy. Well, I got it on and it was tight. . . . ya. . . . then I'm like starting to get closterphobic thinking I couldn't get it off!! Freaked me out!

I will call you tomorrow hopefully. I have to get back on my routine.
Blessings!!

Ms. Larson said...

comment #6....