Thursday, March 19, 2009

What?

The strangest things pop into my mind in the middle of the night when I am attempting that last little movement into sleep. For two nights now I have been remembering little things from the past. When i was little, I remember our having a small metal bowl... by small, I mean about the size of the top half of your thumb. It was used to wash our eyes.

I mean, why did we need to wash our eyes? Did we have diseased eyes? We would put liquid into it, tip it up into our eyes, and let it drain into the bathroom sink. Hmmm.???

Another thing I have been attempting to remember for a long time was a type of medication similar to Mentholatum, but stronger. It came to me that it might have been called Unguentine. Does that strike a chord in your memories?

Enough, already. Have a nice day and take care.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The stuff was Musterole. I remember the eye wash thing. I wonder if it had something to do with treating a Stye. Or would it help wash out something caught in the eye? Remember that they passed out iodine pills or something in school --I forget what that was supposed to help. Also diptheria was a deadly disease for children. And thinking back I wish I had kept al the things designed to curl the hair. Loretta has naturally curly hair but " ugh moi" had naturally straight. I had one that curled the hair and you stuck a bobby pin in and removed the gadget. An improvement over having it would in rags ,I suppose. Fran.

Ms. Larson said...

I liked your blog. That eye wash cup is very strange...There used to be a museum down here that had all the strange medical devices from years past, very interesting and bizarre stuff.