Monday, January 21, 2008

Rats


I just

finished writing a long blog entry and then it disappeared into that oddity called cyberspace. Bummer.

I was remarking about the beautiful cold sunny day. No wind, but about zero degrees. And the fact that Fran used good sense to change her plans again. It is, afterall, a woman's prerogative!

We read the book "love walked in" by Marisa de los Santos for book club. Donna liked it and Carol and I thought some of the writing was good, but we thought the plot was contrived and way too predictable. The fact that so many of the characters were stunningly beautiful also was a bit off-putting. That combined with the over use of movie references overcame the positive parts of the book for us.

We are going to be reading "Water for Elephants" for our next book. I have read it and have a copy of the book which I cannot find. Bummer.

Then we are starting a marathon read of "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. It is Oprah's pict and is a tome. One needs to go to the gym to establish good arm muscles just to hold the book. It has good reviews, so we will see.

Have a good cold day! Take care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Predictable and stunningly beautiful characters. . . sounds like us at the gym!!! I couldn't resist that comment!!

Yes maam, we have a whopping 5 degrees above zero out there!! A real heat wave!!

Good to see you were styling this morning in your "wild" jacket!!

Hey Fran, any gazettes since you are not going anywhere???

Anonymous said...

I am leaving tomorrow for Evanston and Chicago and St. Charles. So the gazette will be at premium until I get back. I have 2 weeks of my pills so I must get home before that runs out. Loretta, the photo is beautiful. I am reading the Water for Elephants. Where did we get the impetus to read this? Yikes. Love, Fran.

Anonymous said...

Stunningly beautiful-YES! but predictable-NEVER! I would say that about describes the lot of us at the gym.

Any who, on a serious note. Oh wait. I don't have a serious note. Just missing you all.

Anonymous said...

I have almost finished the 973 pages of Pillars of the Earth, as I have been struck down with a cold or something equally able to strike one down, since Sunday morning. So I have been sleeping and reading and that's it. The book is amazing; I'm glad Oprah finally discovered it or I would have never attempted to read such a long book. It was written in 1989. There is a sequel - wheeee! I can hardly wait!
Carol