Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Would you believe it?



This is a photograph of my picture in the 1956 yearbook from Roland. I am listed as the English, Speech, Journalism and Dramatics teacher. As I remember it, I did everything but sweep the floors. Five preparations, plays, newspaper and yearbook. I think I took care of the library, too, when it was also a study hall.

The kids were great. I looked through the book and had very distinct memories of many of them. What a wonderful bunch!

Memories are great. They enrich our activities in the present. I think one has to be careful not to become enmeshed in memories to the point that one has difficulty returning to the here and now. I can remember my mom taking photo albums from dad because he would become too involved in them and not be able to return to the present. This was when he was about George's age. It is rather interesting to attain ages that compare to the ages of your memories of your parents.

One of my clearest memories of mom and dad in Florida is their reclining in their recliners watching TV. They would both be asleep, so I would turn off the TV, which would wake them up and then they would protest that they had been watching a favorite show. The show was no longer on, though, and they would laugh at themselves. What a picture of us, now, that is. We in our recliners, watching TV. We have become our parents. It's inevitable, I think, if one lives long enough.

I do have one claim to fame, however, that is mine alone. I have a rowdy group of friends at the gym. They will never let me lapse into the past! Right, girls? See ya soon! Take care.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! If we are your "rowdy" friends I would hate to see the "non-rowdy" crowd!!!!! HAHAHA We are only following the example set by our elders.

I absolutely LOVED your picture of you from the yearbook!!!!!! You were stunningly beautiful!! No wonder George scooped you up in a hurry!! (Naomi don't read the next sentence!) Don't tell Naomi I said this but she looks a LOT like you!

Barb said you waved at her as you were coming home last night! See ~ no matter where you go ~ you always have someone looking out for you!

You would have loved the essential oil meeting last night!

Anonymous said...

I agree-Naomi is a picture of her mother!

I have been sorting through boxes of old pictures in preparation for a 50th wedding anniversary party for my parents. It has been fun to relive some of the moments brought back to the surface of my memory. Nothing wrong with a little reminiscing.

bananafish said...

I WISH! My mom was a babe and if only I looked as cute as here! Isn't that haircut to die for? Actually, my mom still is a babe, but it's fun to see her at 26, 10 YEARS YOUNGER than I am now! Yikes.