Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Christmas memories... 10



I wish I were having a memory this year with this fellow. When we were with him last we gave him this owl - to bring the mail, a la Harry Potter. Sadly we have had to send his Christmas presents via regular mail ... but we hope to see him soon in the new year.

When I was a child, Christmas was a big deal. Before we could open our presents on Christmas eve, we had supper, the women would wash the dishes, I would lie on the couch - sick with anticipation - and then we would gather in the living room. Each of us had a special poem or song which we had learned for the Christmas program at church, dad would read the Christmas Story from the Bible, and then - finally - we would get to open the presents.

One year I opened all my presents when I was alone in the house. I very carefully removed the wrappings and then carefully rewrapped each present. What a mistake that was. It removed the anticipation and excitement. I never did that again and I caution all children to resist the urge!

I remember some of my gifts. When I was very small I got a beautiful pale blue cradle for my doll. I think my dad made it of orange crate wood. Mother had made a gorgeous pink silk quilt and pillow to fit in the cradle. While we were under the shadow of the depression, many of the presents were "homemade" items. Still the best of the presents one gets.

One of my favorite presents was a big fluffy "adult" pillow for my bed. I also got a bottle of lilac scent Eau de Cologne. The trouble came when the two collided. I spilled the fragrance on the pillow. I never appreciated perfume again and never used much even as a young lady. It took much airing out of the pillow before I could stand to use it once again.

I love the Christmas story. God's thoughts are not our thoughts. To send his son as a baby in a stable is so awesome. It's all turned so upside down. I love it. No kingly triumpant trumpets before a powerful potentate! No.. a baby in a barn! When we returned from Brazil, I complained that I didn't have a creche scene as I had left our old beat-up dime store version for someone in Brazil. The cry went out and I soon possessed a collection of creche scenes. But they are only important to us if the occasion they remind us of is part of our faith story.

I present to you God, the baby. The baby starting on his journey. If you have faith as of a mustard seed this journey can be yours. Take great care.

4 comments:

bananafish said...

Nice Christmas blog, Mom!

Anonymous said...

I love your Christms memories!! I can still smell my Christmas presents!! Dolls, and paint sets, and things that had a distinct smell.

We used to have Christmas supper which consisted of oyster stew, meat and potatoes, pies and eggnog.
Mom used to fix a big plate of food and take it to the bachelor down the road and the widow lady who was our neighborhood grandma.

Dad would then go milk the cows while the kitchen and food was cleaned up. Then we opened gifts and got ready to go to midnight mass at the Catholic church. I loved midnight mass!!!! Special music, candle light, and people in their Christmas outfits. It was a thrill!

My dad always purchased a big box or two filled with little paper bags of different chocolates and nuts. We would eat on those boxes for quite some time after Christmas!

I was just talking to Tim and Hannah about how Jesus came as a baby. Fascinating! I would like to know how he grew up as a two year old and didn't say, "NO" when his mom wanted him to do something???? We have had some great discussions on this subject!

I am so glad he came and lived among us and he knows our struggles. I can't imaging life without him!

Anonymous said...

I noticed the time that you posted this blog....I too was up at that early hour just enjoying the quiet of the house.

My childhood memories of Christmas are of our Sunday school program at church on Christmas Eve at 6:00 pm. Because Dad was a dairy farmer he had to milk cows early or just do the calf chores and then after the service he would milk the cows while Mom prepared our supper. My Grandpa would come out from town to eat with us and then we would get to open presents. I would say that much of the anticipation came from the meal that my Mom prepared. It was Rouladen, (sp?) a German dish that was my Dad and Grandpa's favorite (and the rest of us). To this day we still ask her to prepare it because only she makes it the best. I can smell it in the air as I write this. Then next day we were off the our other Grandparent's house for another wonderful meal.

Anonymous said...

I remember one, Loretta, when I was young . We came home from the Christmas program at church and Dad opened the garage door to put the car in and there was our Christmas tree. Santa had left it when we were in church!
Actually later this was explained (when I grew older) he had forgotten he put it there.Whatever.
My oldest child was born on Christmas ´Eve when my husband was on a submarine off the coast of Japan. So all aren't happy memories. Cest la vie.But make this a happy one --Love, Fran.