Wednesday, December 05, 2007

warning lights

Don't you love those warning lights in cars? We have been known to call them idiot lights, because they basically don't tell you anything and are often lit because of a little ice on the wire or just because they're feeling somewhat tempermental. I like the gauges that tell you a little bit about the function they are monitoring. Like the gauge for how full your gas tank is or how warm the engine is. That information is forthright and worthwhile... and you can deal with it.

Life is somewhat the same. We are either hooked up to warning lights or information gauges. The warning light type thing is just a twinge that doesn't indicate much of anything but a sort of malaise. However the gauge thing is much easier to handle. You can check your blood sugar and it actually tells you you need to eat something if the reading is low.

We so often misinterpret the little warning lights in life. We read too much into an off hand remark, when really the person who is making the remark is on a different wave length entirely. But it is good to ask so that the problem can be cleared up. Or a little twinge in my heart probably indicates a heart attack, but further research indicates heart burn.

Naomi is driving back to Mpls. from Evansville and there is a warning light on the dashboard that no one can discover its meaning. She has stopped at three different places and everyone tells her to go ahead if there is no more indication of a problem. The book that should fill her in is large, black and not very understandable. Sigh. She has asked enough. Now she must drive the car with the hope that all will be well. As her mother I would like to wave my magic wand and make the blessed light go out.

She says she has seen several cars in the ditch. Great. Maybe the little light on the dashboard is the least of her worries. Sigh. God bless her and help her on her way. I've worried enough.

Take care!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Naomi have her car? The roads are clear here --good ploughing goes on right away after a sprinkle. The only trouble for me is the edge of the sidewalk where I want to cross the street. Of course I could go the skyway except my pharmacy is in the next block and unavailable to skyway. And I like the outdoors if at all possible. Love, Fran.

Anonymous said...

Warning lights? Even if my warning lights were flashing . . . I never move fast enough to do any damage so I keep scooting along.

I have an abundance of friends so my gauges are usually full. If not chocolate cures most anything!!

Hope Naomi made it back safely. It has been interesting driving the past couple of days!! I let Hannah drive to the gym yesterday afternoon. It was a new experience for her!

I expect I will see you at the gym on Friday with Bells on!

Fran, WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING ON ICEY STREETS????