Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Hi ho

I don't know if you are of the same mind as I am, but I am so sick of some of the political ads on TV I could barf. Can we stand the ickiness until November 4? I guess we'll have to, or swear off TV. Which wouldn't be such a bad idea. I am definitely addicted to TV... and reading. The picture of the flag in the wooden vase from Brazil raises my spirits a little. I remember the thrill of seeing that flag in front of the embassy while we lived in Brazil. I was amazed at the wave of emotion that washed over me.

I suppose that we will survive. This campaign is so disappointing to me. It seems to wallow in divisive rhetoric. I feel so ashamed of some of the people involved. Sigh. Just two more weeks. Whatever you believe, be sure to vote.... Really. Vote.

When I look at some of the stuff on Facebook and other spots, I think there is no longer just a generation gap... there is a generation chasm. Can we still manage to hang on to our basic beliefs? We hold these truths to be self evident... ALL MEN (AND WOMEN) ARE CREATED EQUAL. Black white whatever.

I have faith that our country will survive. The fiscal crisis is shaking us back down to reality. All this bloated spending will come to an end. They are beginning to offer "Layaway" again at stores. Don't use your credit card, use layaway and pay as you go with the money you have. People must be reeling with the financial crises and also the scary election. This is not the time for scare tactics. In my not so humble opinion!

Take care.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the flag does instill a sense of peace and hope. That flag has meant so much for so many!! After seeing some old war movies I am moved to tears when it comes down the street at a parade!! I can almost feel your wave of emotion at seeing the flag at the embassy! Kind of like I know that my God is always there for me, guiding me and protecting me. Just knowing HE is there brings me a sense of peace and hope.

As for the crisis . . . . in the business we did see hard times LAST year but things are looking great now so I am not certain where the media gets all this. The people we do business with are going gangbusters. So, like you suggested, to shut your TV off would be a wise move right now. I think the Bible says to call those things that be not as though they were. . . . therefore, I just declare that America is a prosperous nation at peace!

Ms. Larson said...

It's sad to me that the flag has sort of been "co-opted" by Republicans, conservatives, etc... I mean, wouldn't you agree that when you see a car or whatever with a big American flag, you assume that person is a Republican. I am not saying this to disparage Republicans or conservatives, but only to say that as a liberal Democrat...it's my flag too!

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Vicki....counting the days until the political season is over. Everyone has a right to their opinions. That doesn't make them right, wrong or indifferent. I have issues with both parties so I vote my belief's and feelings. They don't need to tell me how I should think!