Wednesday, October 08, 2008

oops

I was entranced by the photo of Fran hiking in the Montana mountains which was featured on the last blog. She has her two walking sticks, back pack and fabulous hat! She's really into it. I was glad to realize that someone was walking behind her because it was they who took the picture. We both have hilarious stories about falling precipitously with no apparent reason, so the sticks are reassuring, to say nothing about someone at the ready to help, if necessary.

She tells the story of walking along in Washington, D. C., and falling with no apparent reason. Her family members were chatting just in front of her and didn't even realize she had fallen and continued on their way for some time. She was helped up by strangers, if I have the story right.

And then there is the time when she took me to a week-long rug hooking event out east. We roomed together in a room in a Campground type place. We were reprimanded for being too loud! Who, US? Impossible. Anyway, we were walking along and she proceded to fall without any appreciable cause. The times that the two of us have done this are countless. Old fumble feet, that's us. (I suppose that should be "that's we"... but how strange is that?)

One of these days I will write about the times I have fallen. I will have to do it in installments, however, as the list is long. Tuck and roll.... that's the technique I have developed... Tuck and Roll.

Take care.... and TUCK AND ROLL.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I, too, am so tickled and impressed at that photo of Fran - what a trooper. Doesn't she know that at her age she's traditionally supposed to be sitting in a rocking chair telling stories of her long-ago youth? Way to go, Fran!
Once in India, maybe 5 years ago or so, my grandson and I were walking along a beach and I fell, tripping over a rock - he was leading the way, but decided to walk in back of me after that plus another incident the day before when I simply lost my balance and fell. I decided then and there that THAT is why old people are so often being led by the arm by a younger one - it is the sense of balance that goes. We should all get those sticks - in fact there was a woman I saw yesterday in Alex using them in town. They were very pretty sticks. Maybe better than canes?
Carol Jean

Anonymous said...

I haven't had one of those falls for ten years. Walking my dog charlie -another dog got away from its owner and the two tangled leashes topped me over --I ended up with ten stitches over my left eye and proceeded to my grandson''s farewell dinner before he started college. He has finished college and has been working in china for four years. Timeflies. The sticks are wonderful. They have little rubber boots which when taken off have stab things for walking in snow and ice! The sticks are fantastic for balancing. All the streets in Helena are going up or down.What goes up must come down. I climb to go to Jeff's and very much go down to my place.I can really speed with the sticks to push me and balance. Janiece, my daughter in law was taking the picture and looking out for me. Up ahead in black was visiting daughter Andrea and in the white jacket is Jeff and Coco and Penny --the dogs. The mountain was fantastic.Fran

Ms. Larson said...

Yeah, MOm, right...where was your tuck and roll when you fell smack onto your face in the street that one time with me? Horrifying.

Anonymous said...

So that's what's going on...I wondered why I seemed tippy these days. Not enough figure something was grossly wrong but just enough to say "that was strange".

Anonymous said...

Janiece got something called Hooflex. in fine print --use only on animals. I decided my fingernails are on this animal. We shall see. stinky stuff. I have read The Shack. Your book club has some doozeys. It mentioned Pilgrim,s Progress on the cover so I got that from the library. I know that was one of my Dad's favorites and I believe George read it to him when you stayed with them in Florida. I imagine he was too infirm to read much himself at that time. But English in 1697 was rather heavy. I loved the Shack and will give it to Jeff and Janiece.Fran

Anonymous said...

I mentioned Dad...I remember him telling five year old you his story of hunting monkeys with Paul Du Chaillou in South America. Bud and I listened with glee --we had both had this story. But you turned to Mom and said "Is that true". We figured Mother didn't go into tall tales " That must have been before I know him!" she said!! Dad said you should look it up in the encyclopedia --sure enough there was the story --it didn't mention Dad but....I don't even remember how to spell DuChaillou but I did a lot of encyclopedia use in my time. I have lots of fun stories of my Dad.I am writing my memeoirs you know but you will have to buy the book.

Ms. Larson said...

okay...it's time for a new entry: chop chop!