Friday, October 24, 2008

wahoo

We had a very busy day yesterday trying to get ready for the trip out east to visit our family there. Got our flu shots, voted, got our eyes checked out, did some shopping, and stopped for coffee.

It is a relief to have voted. We no longer have to pay attention to the political ads, etc. And, of course, the flu shot will keep us well. Right. And I found out that it wasn't my imagination, my eyes were not doing as well as they had been. In six months we will do a bit of correction as needed.

We will be gone during Halloween. Shucks. I love seeing the little kids all decked out. I will be able to report on how they celebrate in Virginia. We also will be gone for the big voting day, and I am glad we remembered to do an absentee ballot.

Our beautiful Maple tree in the back yard is shedding its leaves at fantastic pace. I is about half bare and the ground is more or less completely covered. Wow. Fall is here. Is that why it is called "Fall." Because all the leaves fall? Anybody know?

Take care.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you accomplished all your tasks!

As for the word Fall the exact derivation is unclear, the Old English fiaell or feallan and the old Norse fall all being possible candidates. However, these words all have the meaning "to fall from a height" and are clearly derived from a common root or from each other. The term came to denote the season in the 16th Century, a contraction of Middle English expressions like "fall of the leaf" and "fall of the year".

Hope that helps you!

See you Monday!!

Anonymous said...

KW are you trying to outdo the "Ear Guy"? I would not have expected such an explanation from you.

Maybe a bit of Vicki is rubbing off!

Anonymous said...

I sent Emily's e-mail to you. Fran.

Anonymous said...

Remember to write to Emily? Fran.

Anonymous said...

No, I would not want the responsibility put upon me or the expectation to outdo the Ear Guy. I just happened to be interested in the word Fall and how it came to be ~ so I looked it up.

I will leave the "words" to the "word" experts like yourself!!