Sunday, October 12, 2008

Tuck and roll... not

I was looking for a picture of Naomi building bookcases in the garage and got this instead. Go figure. ANYWAY, when Naomi was here building bookcases in the garage, we decided to go to Kraemer's (now defunct) for supper. The streets were getting torn-up, so while George drove the long way around to take the car home, Naomi and I decided to take a leisurely walk home, arm in arm, chatting amicably as we went. We got to the stretch in front of the Covenant Church where there was (coincidentally) a flaw in the black top like that shown in the above photo. On that tiny flaw yours truly tripped and fell.

Now.. to the crux of the matter.. I do not lift my feet high enough! I managed to stop the forward motion of my foot long enough to lose my balance and crash to the ground, nose flattened on the blacktop, blood spurting in every direction. Quite dramatic.

It is true that I did not tuck and roll. I had my hand in Naomi's hand.. blissful togetherness.. which impeded my tuck and roll just enough to land flat on my face.

You are lucky that I cannot locate the picture of my face after the accident. It is a glorious example of how much I like to show a picture of myself with various ugly injuries. Go figure.

Take care.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lift your feet? I am amazed at the gym how you move around and exercise like Michael Jackson doing the moonwalk! Remarkable!

Well, had you stepped on the crack it would break momma's back but since you tripped on the crack it bruised momma's nose.

I will try to respond to future blogs in the daytime when my mind doesn't have quite the same sense of humor. I'm sure I drive you "word" people crazy!

Thanks for the new post and will be interesting to see the response.

I will have to tell you about the time I tripped in the middle of the day on a sidewalk and flew into the door of the supermarket like a little birdie hitting the window and was left standing barefoot and bruised! I thought it was funny . . . made me laugh til I cried!!

Anonymous said...

When I look back on some of my various ailments I now realize that most of them were due to falls also. Hmmmmmm!

Anonymous said...

All our falls were to gather experience to prevent falls when we get old and decrepit and might break a bone which would impede our locomotion. Our heads can take a lot of rearranging, no hard done but a broken hip and it's bye bye amigo. Go figure. The only problem with the tuck and roll - it requires immediate response and one needs prior knowledge. Like here on this next step I am going to fall--no I think I will tuck and roll instead. Fran

Anonymous said...

Probably I should explain when to expect old and decrepit --it's when you fall and break a hip. Again no warning --Old comes first --decrepit follows close . Janiece kept a strong hand on me taking me to the doc this morning. Had some blood test taken to see if I can tolerate a new diabetes medicine. We had an inch of snow yesterday and here and there were patches of ice. It is melted now. .Incidentally, at 88 I expect old age any day now. Fran.

Anonymous said...

Fran you are an inspiration to all of us!

Ms. Larson said...

mom, i love walking and holding hands with you. but that fall was horrendous.