Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Whew!

This "Tuck and Roll" stuff is getting to be ridiculous. Fran fell and told me she thought the whole tuck and roll idea had to be learned from childhood... at her advanced age it wasn't easy to develop. Since I have HAD experience since childhood, I am the expert.

Well, in the Chicago Ohare Airport I was juggling a carryaboard up an escalator and I lost my balance. I tucked and rolled... and rolled... and rolled, until someone turned off the escalator. A woman came over to try to help me while I was still rolling shouting frantically, "Oh, my God" over and over. God heard her because another woman shut the escalator off.

The airport personel came over to see if they could help me. Poor George had been in front of me and could only look down powerless to help. He soon came to my aid, too. They sat me down and I kept protesting that I was relatively ok. I wanted to catch the airplane. I said I had a lot of experience of falling!!! and I was pretty sure I was good to go.

I have a contusion on the back of my head (don't have to worry about that because I am a hard headed Norwegian!) and it only bled a little. Oofta. Otherwise none the worse for wear... except I broke two fingernails! Now that is serious... now that I DO have fingernails to break. I imagine I will have a few aches and pains tomorrow, but my glasses were unscathed, as well as my new ears, so all is well.

John and Hannah met us at Dulles Airport, we went out for lunch and then drove home to meet Matthew. (He had to go to school, poor guy, and didn't have the fun of the long drive.) John, Hannah and Matthew are now out for a walk and George is snoozing.

Well, I couldn't wait to regale you with the latest tuck and roll story. Take care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, well, well, If it isn't one of you nearly getting or getting your travel plans canceled by medical emergencies. Maybe your family should just come to Evansville to visit you from now on.

At least you can laugh at yourself. I would have been horrified to see you fall.

I am getting anxious for our trip to Australia. Although the thought of flying for 15 hours at one time again is curbing my enthusiasm somewhat. I will watch out for the escalators at the airports.

Anonymous said...

I know what you were doing- making this a falling down best contest. You won the fall guy contest. My hit on another hard Norwegian head was by far a loser to a tumble down an escalator --tuck and roll or no.
I am preparing a fit medal for this contest. I just hope we survive the next inning. Love, Fran.

Anonymous said...

How are you doing today? Seeing Matthew and Hannah should be worth taking the edge off the fall. Keep us updated on your visit. Love, Fran.

Anonymous said...

OH ~ that must be why when you came to my mind I was praying for you!!! We really should buy you a helmet for walking and traveling!!

There must be an easier way to get you to your gate. They have those little golf carts you could take!

I woke up with a headache today and since I knew you wouldn't be at the gym, I laid back down and went to sleep. Look how I have learned from you already!!!

Have a good time and don't get into too much trouble!!

Your Favorite Friend