Thursday, September 25, 2008

finger nails

I do not have a picture to illustrate this blog, but you can take it from me that I actually have fingernails. Strong fingernails. This is the first time in my long life that I can make that statement! The reason is rather bizarre and may make a statement about who I actually am.

I have moaned and groaned for many a year that my fingernails were disappearing. Strong grooves were appearing, from the base to the end of my fingernails and they would break at the point where the groove met the end. I actually thought the time would come when I would no longer have fingernails.

Then, last summer, while we were visiting at Lake Anna out east in Virginia, I met a lady whose business was raising horses. She introduced me to a product called "Hoof Maker" that she used on her horses and she said was great for fingernails. When I got home I looked at Fleet Farm and found the product called "Hoof Saver" which seemed to be the same sort of thing. I bought a HUGE container for just over $12. and applied it a few times to my fingernails. Wow.

I am presently typing away on the keyboard with fingernails clicking away on the keys! I have ears that can hear the clicking, and fingernails which are doing the clicking. Double Wow.

This getting old is a constant series of adventures. Yahoo. I don't know whether I will soon begin to whinny like a horse. If I do, be sure to mention it to me! I may have to rethink the advantages of strong fingernails!

Take care.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mane is shiny and long, may your whinny be high and bright...does that go together?

I have heard of others using products from Fleet Farm's animal division to heal human ailments. Udder balm works wonders for chapped and cracked hands.

Giddy up!

Anonymous said...

Nope ~ don't recall a whinny but thought I have heard a snort or two. . .

Amazing how we take an interest in our health when it is fading. Too soon old, too late smart!

Anonymous said...

For the birds (from carol jean)
Meaning

Trivial; worthless; only of interest to gullible people.

Origin

This phrase is of American origin and, while still in use there, has never been commonly used elsewhere. It is US Army slang and originated towards the end of WWII. An early example of its use is this piece from The Lowell Sun, October 1944, in an interview with a Sergt. Buck Erickson, of Camp Ellis, Illinois:

"Don't take too seriously this belief that we have football at Camp Ellis solely for the entertainment of the personnel - that's strictly for the birds. The army is a winner... the army likes to win - that's the most fortunate thing in the world for America."

'Strictly' is frequently used as an intensifier, as in the example above.

'That's for the birds' is a shortened form of the vulgar version 'that's shit for the birds'. That suggests the derivation of the phrase which is the habit of some birds of pecking at horse droppings (a.k.a. road apples) in order to find seeds. Both versions were defined in an edition of American Speech from 1944:

That's for the birds. It's meaningless
Shit for the birds. Nonsense, drivel, irrelevant matter.

Anonymous said...

udder balm cured my mother-in-law's bed sores.
Carol Jean

Anonymous said...

My daily walk to the library --I put in a bid for getting the book you suggested. The Shack --I am abut 10th on the list but the librariansid it was a small book so it shouldn't be too long! I am eager to listen to the debate- so adios. .„ill try to find the Hoof Saver here. Fran.