Friday, September 19, 2008

tomato bisque

Well, thanks to the ear guy I had a way to search for a tomato bisque recipe... and search... and search... It turns out there are hundreds if not thousands of such recipes and as I am of rather an advanced age, I think rather than try them all I will just go to Bella's and ask for a list of the ingredients. Then I can decide which of the many recipes will fill the bill.

I suppose I could just ask for their recipe, too. AFTER I have first asked for the ingredients, in case they turn me down. It was yummy.

Changing the subject, my mother used to tell me that when you give a dinner party there are two subjects you should not allow... religion and politics. These subjects are too close to the hearts of those who espouse them, and the arguments get heated and personal.

The truth is, I think we should have more such heated discussions.. but why do they need to be so heated? This is a democracy and we are all entitled to our own opinions. I wish we could each state our beliefs, listen to the other person calmly, adopt some of their beliefs if it seems right and continue the discussion.

But the nature of the beast seems to be that those beliefs are passionately held, and the heat is part of the belief. And we each seem like nincompoops to those who hold the opposite or different position. Sigh. The less valid our position, the more heat it will generate. Sigh. And we insiste everyone have the same position. Not going to happen.

In a couple of months this election will be in the books. Thank goodness. And, of course, all will see the light and vote as I do! Right. Take a deep breath. Do some yoga. Or meditate. And pray that our old world will continue rotating for a few more years.

Take care.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the politics are VERY important to our existence. Naomi sure has got things popping with her e-mail. I don't suppose I will live long enough to see what can be done to prevent our country from imploding. But I do want my children and grandchildren to get to live in a democracy instead of the anarchy we are experiencing now. Sorry if I step on anyones' toes. Fran.

Anonymous said...

I had to go back and re-read your last blog and comments and this blog. I am sorry but somewhere I missed the politics part.

I am rather enjoying the banter of the political ring now. It is quite entertaining! Accusations, misquotes and linking people together who have opposing views on issues. . . jolly good entertainment!

I appreciate and respect your level headedness and ability to discuss these matters with a rational mind! You have obviously put some thought into this.

One of the MANY reasons I find you fascinating!!

Anonymous said...

I usually make my tomato bisque by starting with a can of either tomato soup or tomato sauce. Then I add a can of delmonte diced tomatoes that have the garlic and basil in it. If I only have regular diced tomatoes then I add the garlic and basil myself. After that I add cream, 1/2 & 1/2 or whipping cream-whatever is in the fridge. From there I go on taste as to adding anymore. An other twist is to add some cooked pasta (I like tortellini) and/or a box of frozen spinach (drained).

Most of my soup recipes are not from a recipe. Jeffrey calls me the soup nazi. If you are familiar with the "Seinfeld" show you will understand this term. My kids even like my soup as compared to others that they have tasted.

Anonymous said...

Just go back from my daily waalk to the library and was thinking of you because I am returning DVDs about the French Impressionists. If the woman from California is to be my neighbor and taught that and the Italian Renaissance I am boning up.
I have nearly finished--no halfway done on the hooking of the organ bench cover --At the book store this week I saw two 2009 calendars --Miro and Klee--Eureeka --my hooking is pretty much Miro ---I thought of you giving that lecture on Francis Bacon and someone in the audience said "he's kind of weird" I am definitely in that ball park with this bench cover. Fran

Anonymous said...

I take back my anarchy connotation. This business of the financial abyss ---and everyone realizing we are in this together..But where is this 6 billion coming from? Everyone to the helm. Fran.

Anonymous said...

I hunted for a bisque recipe. When you get that accomplished you must let us know the recipe. I will try Karen's even though I seldom have whipped cream available. Cooking for one is the pits. Diabetic Fran

Anonymous said...

Fran ~ you are making us look like a bunch of slackers. . . . with only ONE comment!! I love your comments! Can you post a picture of your rugs??

Quite honestly, I surprised Vicki hasn't posted a new blog today. She was brimming with energy at the gym . . . . I was sure I would be greeted with a new blog!