Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Book Club Books

As my loyal readers know, I belong to a book club. The last two books we have read were extremely fun for me. Fun isn't just the right word... rewarding might be better. The first was "Broken for You" by Stephanie Kallos. This was a first novel for the author... but she certainly hit the jackpot as far as I was concerned. One of the things brought out was the care with which the Nazis in WWII kept records of the confiscated possessions of the conscripted Jews... and the raw destruction of the Jews themselves. The novel is a tour de force.

The second was "Astrid & Veronika" by Linda Olsson, also a first novel. A very interesting read, but not quite the tour de force of the other. It gave us lots to talk about, though.

We are now reading "Cat's Eye" by Margaret Atwood, the Canadian author. This is a novel that I like, although some of the others by this author are not favorites. The conversations we have around it should be a blast.

Take care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am putting these books on my library list. Especially the first. I wrote you about Margaret Atwood. Say hello to the members. Fran.

Anonymous said...

Can I be part of a book club when I grow up???

I am too busy attending to the stack on my desk which the shoemaker's elves replenish while I am gone at night.

You all should have been at the gym today. Vicki was at her prime!!! Nobody can give Fred a hard time like Vicki can!!!! It is hilarious!!

You go girl!!!

bananafish said...

Mom, You all should read "Ahab's Wife" by Sena Jeter Naslund. It's SUCH a good book, and would be fun to discuss.

bananafish said...

Okay here's the fourth comment: blog already!