Friday, September 21, 2007

lanyard


I'm not even sure that is what this affair I wear around my neck is called. I remember making a deal like it from plastic strips at girl scout camp when I was young. You could put a whistle on it for use in games... or whatever you wanted. Now they are offering them as mementos of places. I had one I liked with two pens on it that I lost in the airport shuffle of taking off my shoes, jackets, purse, etc., etc... and finally the lanyard. I didn't put the lanyard back on for some reason and it was lost.

At book club I was roundly roasted for wearing my Yorktown lanyard. I had never really thought of what it looked like, I only thought of its utility. I have now made one from black grosgrain ribbon. Black should be chic, right? Can all those Parisians be wrong?
I find that it is a great thing to have a pen at hand during the day. I suppose I have at least 200 pens collected around the house, but when there comes a sudden idea or the thought of something I need at the store, having a pen around my neck is a great stress reliever. I don't have to start the hunt for a pen or pencil... it's right there, around my neck.
I have also discovered that I don't think much about how things look as long as they are utilitarian. I'm sure that is a character flaw, but at 77 I am not going to worry about that particular flaw. There are many others that take precedence. Not being able to hula loop is surely more serious. Or my aversion to dusting. Or.........
Another thing that I had on my old lanyard was the adorable small Swiss army knife that George gave me last Christmas. I knew I couldn't go through the airport with a knife so I tossed it in my suitcase... the one that was to be sent. No can findee. I am desolate as I loved it. It had a tiny scissors that I used constantly, and a small screwdriver. I will have to find another one.
Enough, already. Take care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It surely is aggravating to lose something that you become to attached to. In your case, literally. I am currently in the search for something that was given to me as a gift. It bugs me to no end that I can't find it. I believe it will show up some day when I am not looking for it.

Anonymous said...

I love the lanyard idea. I have a thing like that for scissors and thimble holder for quilting but now that I am taking this writing course the pen idea
is perfect. I'll get right at it. Fran.

bananafish said...

Mom, Look in your suitcase again! And in your other stuff. Remember Aunt Fran's bird? I hope you find it, but if not, Dad just has another time to get just the perfect present!

Anonymous said...

I did go back and reread your lanyard losing story and the thought of your beloved Swiss Army knife did occur to me but I KNOW that you would dare to enter airports with anything remotely like that so I figured you left it at home. Hope you find it ~ I know you loved it.

As for wondering "why" Vicki loves me since I am always nipping at her heels. In my defense I grew up on the farm and learned to "prod" cattle along. I know from experience that I need a little prodding every now and then and I am convinced that Vicki Dear would be at a loss if I didn't live up to my reputation of keeping her on her toes. It keeps her young. . . . RIGHT VICKI?????

Trust me!! Have you heard the stories of Vicki in her youth????? SHE CAN HOLD HER OWN!!!!

Since we are on the subject . . . you weren't at the gym today. . . So I am sure I will see you on Wednesday. HAHAHA