Thursday, September 20, 2007

The magic of four



It was that fourth pathetic comment from the last blog that got me off the dime! The picture is a showing of the only artwork that got accomplished on the trip to Virginia. I was addressing the envelope of the card for Matthew's birthday - with the ubiquitous marking pen I wear on the lanyard around my neck - when I realized I had printed "John" instead of "Matthew." Hmmmm. So I constructed this concoction to mask my mistake.

I think back to the times when my mother would call me Anna first. (Anna was her little sister.) Then Fran. (Fran was her older daughter, my sister.) Then, finally, Loretta.. my actual name... which everyone used to designate me even though it was really my middle name. I have a long and checkered tale about my name which I won't bore you with here. (Do I hear sighs of relief?) I advise you all to get a name and then stick to it.

I managed to complete the talk on Chicano/a art (sometimes it's called Chicana/o art... you can chose which you like the best.) at the Art of the Lakes meeting. (In Spanish a woman would be Chicana and a man, Chicano.) It is such a large and varied subject that I just managed to touch on a bit of it. But I did it. That's the important thing. People were complimentary.

I get tired quicker after my health adventures of the summer, but I seem to be able to do very well in a slower and more measured way. Well, remember the magic of four! Take care

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I fully understand the name game. My mom did it and so do I. Even with only one daughter and one son...I usually revert back to my own siblings names with my children-Jenna becomes Joni and Derek becomes Darin. Oh well....I get it right some times.

Anonymous said...

Karen L I applaud you for at least keeping the first letter of the name the same! My mom had the wonderful idea after Randy and Susan to name the next born Karen, Karla, Kathy. That was fun!!!!!

Does "Hannah Fo Fannah Fe Fi Fo Fannah" count? Or Hannah Banana? Christopher is more affectionately called "Flash" since he is lightning fast like his mother ~ haha!

My Sister Karla was called "Charlie" short for Chicken of the Sea Charlie . . . does anyone remember those commercials? And My moms sister was Aunt Whoopie cause when she was little she had the whooping cough that didn't go away very fast. So, they called her whooper which shortened into Whoopie and I never even KNEW her given name of Delores until I was 17!

Wow. I should have entered this comment into three different entries and came up with "four". Come on people ~ help us out!

Anonymous said...

With a family of changing names it is hard for us oldies to get the hang of it. I have found that most answer to any one of the names I choose to call them. The problem comes when there are people who know only one name for the bloke or blockess. Fran.

Anonymous said...

What did you wear for costuming this art lecture? ˇTake a picture. Fran

Anonymous said...

BINGO

We have "four"!!

Next Please!

This way I KNOW you will be at the gym on Monday simply to beat me up for being a smart alec!

Anonymous said...

For the life of me!! KW I don't understand why Vicki loves you so much...you seem to be nipping at her ankles to keep her on her toes constantly. Oh well....all in good fun!

p.s. I like to use exclamation points yet I was told by someone who has taken some writing classes that one should not over use them!!

Anonymous said...

Rules are made to be broken!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????