Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Memories 7

All through my childhood, I slept in the upstairs back bedroom and Bud had the upstairs front bedroom.

"Beau Geste" was the first book I stayed up all night to read.
I was reading away when the alarm clock woke Bud to go on his early Sunday morning paper route. I had the lamp on, so he came back to see what was happening. I feigned sleep, and he gently took the book out of my hand, pulled the quilt up to my chin and turned out the lamp. He was such a sweetheart of a brother... and still is, actually, my sweet brother.

I have always been a voracious reader. One day, when I was supposed to be helping my mother with Spring cleaning, I was hiding out in the attic reading "Gone with the Wind." The attic was a portion of the second floor. At the head of the stairs if you turned right and opened a door, you entered this wonderland. All sorts of marvelous things were stored in the attic including a large collection of Big Little Books. Because I was supposed to be helping, mother called and called, but I sat as still as a mouse in the attic reading. I imagine mother knew where I was, but knew she could get more done if I wasn't trying to help.

I am amused at myself that I still have these very books in my hands. After sixty some years, I still feel an attachment to the books and the memories they evoke. Now, if only I had that collection of Big Little Books... that would be a treasure trove. Do you all remember what they were like? Great fun.

Take care.

6 comments:

bananafish said...

I love your memories, I like to think of you in the attic reading. We ARE so alike, you and I, mama.

Anonymous said...

I can feel the love that Naomi has for you through words.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the input on my message. Happy birthday to George. Miss you, Naomi. Love, Fran.

bananafish said...

I miss you too, Aunt Fran!

Anonymous said...

Vicki didn't come to the gym today but did mention there were 4 comments on her blog but they were more chatting with one another.

SOOOO, Vicki, I do remember the Big Little Books. Infact I read them to Christopher and Hannah. I remember "Tawny Scrawny Lion" and other fun books! I read them the books about the Swedish kids also. I think they were "Ricka, Flicka, _______? the boys I don't quite recall at the moment.

See you tomorrow!

bananafish said...

it is time...i posted just for you, now it's your turn...