Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ring around the Rosy



The first snow is always fun. I especially like it because it highlights certain as yet unforseen things. This is a picture of the first snow highlighting how George did his final tilling of the garden. I hadn't realized that he did it in this neat rotary motion. Too cool.

I remember being on a trip with him. He was fishing in the Snake River, and I was just doing my thing waiting for him to return. I made a mound of dirt with a miniature road snaking around and up it. At the top of the mound I put an opened oreo cookie, imitating a volcano. Somewhere I have a picture of this master piece. Very convincing except that you can see my toe in the bottom corner of the picture. Now I would simply crop the picture, but at the time doing that to a slide was next to impossible.

That was one of the events during a five week camping trip that we took in 1956. We went out west to California, north to Canada and returned through Canada and the Dakotas. It was a blast. We stayed in a motel either 4 or 5 nights, but the rest of the time we camped. The camping craze was just getting started in America. We had a little umbrella tent, a station wagon and a camp kitchen that George had made for the back of the station wagon. When we would be getting set up, all the campers would come over to ooh and aah over this innovation. When we sold that station wagon, we tried to burn the camp kitchen as it no longer fit in the new station wagon. Now THAT was a job. It did NOT want to burn. It only finally gave up after a struggle.

I love to camp. Some of my friends consider it torture. To each his own! Fer sure.

Take care.

4 comments:

bananafish said...

I LOVE to camp, thanks to my mom and dad always making it fun and relaxing. My Dad is the master of setting up camp, and my Mom the master of cooking and enjoying the camp that my Dad sets up. I love everything about it; sleeping outdoors, eating outdoors, swimming, fishing, hiking, playing games, campfires, getting dirty and loving it. Ahhh, what fun. However, I have had one experience of winter camping and that was more than enough for me. I am definitely a three season camper.

Anonymous said...

I am one of those who consider it "torture". My idea of a great campsite has the word "holiday Inn" or like above its doors. I need electricity. But....then again I was not raised in a camping family. Do you suppose that comes from being from a farm where we spent a great deal of time outside to begin with?

Anonymous said...

I do not relish camping. I do not care a great deal for traveling either. I just like to move.
Flying is getting more troublesome all the time. I gave up my car. Going by bus is new and kind of fun but not in blizzard conditions. I don't mind the train for the trip to Milwaukee or Chicago. Is there a chance I am getting old and lazy? Gadzooks. Fran.

Anonymous said...

Torture, definitely torture!