Friday, November 30, 2007

Winter's a'comin!

Well, if you aren't convinced by the reading on your thermometer, you will be when the big snow storm comes on Saturday. I'm convinced it's coming as it is approaching from Colorado and will be roaring down on us in the afternoon on Saturday.
We will have to get reacquainted with the concept of emergency kits and blankets in our cars. We need to be sure our cell phones are well charged (Maybe it would be a good idea to bring the plug in charger with... hmmm.). The hardest thing for me is to refrain from just driving somewhere for the thrill of the inclemency of the weather around me. I do love driving in terrible weather.

I attribute this to my Viking blood. Any kind of big challenge rouses my fighting instincts. I even wrote a poem to that effect that was mercilessly made fun of by my instructor. He was sure that I didn't have that fighting instinct in me that made it reasonable to compare myself to a Viking. Hmmmm. Obvious to my friends that he REALLY didn't know me very well.

Of course, my cooler head usually prevails. But the look in my eye of absolute ferocity usually does the trick. I love living in the area that has four distinct seasons. Without the awfullness of winter, spring wouldn't be nearly as appreciated. At least, that is my position!

Take care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get all this Viking ferocity? I am the more timid one. You even had this in elementary school days. WOW. I could have used it a couple times, I am sure. Keep it oiled and handy! I may want to borrow it sometime. Fran.

Anonymous said...

Vicki I had no idea that you love to drive in terrible weather!!
After this we'll let you do all the winter driving!
Do you have a phone charger that fits into your cigarette lighter in the car? If not, you should get one. Especially if you jump in the car at the mention of a blizzard and take off.
I agree with Naomi, by the way, about the sky painting. It is ready to frame, and I love it.
Love, Carol

Anonymous said...

I have experienced firsthand the reality of being out on the road when one should not have been. Needless to say the tree in the ditch did not move as my van slid into it. Fortunately no one was hurt. My kids say I am just paranoid now-maybe I am but when you have a close call with your kids in the vehicle with you I call it being sensible and just stay put.

Anonymous said...

I find your statement about any kind of big challenge brings out your fighter instinct! So, that's why you keep coming to the gym. Because that is a big challenge and then you have the challenging contentious arguments with Fred!

Yes, I can see you thinking driving in a blizzard as an adventure. I have been on the road when it was snowing so hard we opened the side windows to see if we could see the side of the road and then we had no idea where exactly we were becuase we couldn't even see the signs alongside the road. Those few moments can take years off one's life!