Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Memories - 9

Dad knew a car dealer who was extremely proud of his accomlishments. Dad was the sort who didn't believe in putting on the dog, so he took delight in playing gin rummy with Ted and beating him. They both thoroughly enjoyed the contests. They kept meticulous records on lined yellow legal sized pages. There was some way they could play so that each game would contribute the scores in the next game.. all way too complicated for me to care to figure out. But they would play hour after hour. My dad the peasant with Ted the bon vivant sophisticate. It was an entertaining time. Mom would make great meals and they would talk and play gin rummy.

One Sunday Ted took us (Dad, Mom and me) out to dinner at the fanciest hotel in Madison. He ordered the best steak, I think it was chateaubriand, for us. As we were teetotalers, he couldn't impress us with his knowledge of wine, but he did the best he could. As we finished the meal, he asked, "Well? How was it?" Dad paused, patted his mouth with the linen napkin, and replied, "Well.. It was filling."

At that reply, I got the giggles, Ted joined in, and we laughed until we cried. Somehow, Ted always tried to impress and Dad always impressed without trying. The people around us looked at us with disapproval, but we were beyond caring.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

where is it?

Anonymous said...

It showed up...and I was delighted once again to read your memories.

Anonymous said...

Dear Loretta, When that story was passed to me I was told it was Ted Bates who took them out to dinner. Anonymous McFarland

Anonymous said...

Right on!

Anonymous said...

You did say that ˇTed took you to the Edgewater for dinner. I guess I gave you my version in my e-mail. We were out of sync so I hadn't read your blog yet. It is so funny readng memoirs because the reader has a different personal peg on the occasion. This one is in the family lore.

Anonymous said...

It might be in the family lore, but I was actually there. I have written about it to the best of my recollection... but I was locked in my own time warp as a teen-ager. I have some further memories in a more extended account in my little computer! Oh, my.

bananafish said...

nice new format mom, did you get sick of the pink? good work!