Saturday, March 03, 2007

sun on snow


The assault on the eyes is glorious! After a few days of snow falling gently and then not so gently on the gray background, to see the bright light and distinct shadows is a blessing. My eyes can't get enough of it! As a borderline SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) sufferer my reaction to the sunlight coming back is extreme. Wow. It is great.
Finally, Minnesota had a good old fashioned winter snow storm. It was a rather wimpy storm as I compare it to some of the storms we have had in the last 30 years, but at least it was something. About a foot and a half of snow here. We didn't get the real blizzard stuff, so it was rather benign, but those to the south of us got the more wild stuff.
I was watching Canadian television and they were having some of the storms stuff, too. They were interviewing people on the street. One woman said she loved it. It was Canada, after all. That's the way I feel. Finally, a storm that makes me know I live in the greatest state of the 48 contiguous states. You have to be strong and valiant to live here! Of course, Wisconsin and Illinois got some of the worst of it, so I guess they qualify, too. To say nothing about the Dakotas! Wahoo.
The weather farther south was awful. All those tornadoes. Yup. I'll take the blizzard. Wow.
To change the subject, I was really pumped yesterday when I saw that my posting had received four comments. I let out a yell, clicked on comments, and found what I found. You will have to look yourself to check it out. You guys... leave me a comment now and then so I don't succumb to low esteem and loneliness. Please. sob, sob.
Have a BRIGHT and SUNNY day. take care.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am warry of wishing for another good snowfall..but the sunny day we are having today may melt all.
I have three beautiful hibiscus blooms in the tree my living room
. Fran.

Anonymous said...

Hi Vicki - I also am loving the sunshine on the snow. We should paint it.

Are you talking about watercolors under glass? You don't have to put glass over your liquid acrylics if you don't want to. But I guess you know that.

I'm going to paint some small paintings for Terah and Lorena for their wedding gift, something they can hang anywhere and not take up a whole wall - especially when I don't know what they decorate like. So I'm thinking about that. And also I'm making little fridge magnets with the Bible theme verse for our Madagascar reunion, for a little memento for everybody. So much to do, so little tyme.
The verse is: The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; His mercies never come to and end; they are new every morning. Great is Thy faithfulness. Lam. 3:22-23
Our theme is God - our past and present help - our future hope. Our theme hymn is O God our help in ages past etc. We took the theme from something Duane (Tolefson) said on his last Sunday before he retired, knowing that he had Altzheimers, "God has been with me all these many years, and I know he'll not forsake me now. And that's his favorite hymn. I'm on the planning committee, and am now in the process of sending maps and final information to the participants. We will be in St. Cloud at the Americanna Inn. Should be fun - 48 people signed up. We'll have lots of candles from those who have passed since our last retreat two years ago. Too many actually.
On that upbeat note I will stop. love, Carol

Anonymous said...

I think Fran was trying to boost your ratings and get you pumped and it looks like it worked!

Yes the snow is an ASSAULT on the eyes! I definitely have to wear sunglasses because everything is WHITE! Quite blinding!

I had a wonderful time at the retreat and am excited to let you in on the skinny.

Izzy said...

i went skiing this weekend at one of the most famous ski resorts in japan. the weather was absolutely beautiful--sunny, calm, and warm. i could ski in a t-shirt. this winter has been so warm, and not much snow has fallen. despite the non-precipitous winter, the skiing conditions were perfect. you should get out there and do a bit of skiing before all the snow melts!

the cherry blossoms are starting to bloom arleady!

isaac

bananafish said...

funny stuff--I love that Fran's message posted 3 times. Ha-ha. love ya

Anonymous said...

You make me smile each time I read your postings. So PLEASE don't feel like you are being ignored Keep those itchy typing fingers going!