Thursday, March 01, 2007

The blessing of snow

Because Minnesota has been on the brink of drought, the snow is a great gift to us. Hopefully it will be a water-filled snow and go some way toward ameliorating the drought conditions. I guess in the northern reaches they need about 60 inches of snow, which probably won't happen, but we will get a healthy amount, I hope.

Last night we were at Christina Lake Lutheran Church for their Lenten Services. They are concentrating on missions for this Lenten season, and George was going to talk about Brazil and our stint there as missionaries many years ago. We got there for a supper served by the young people, and when we went up to the sanctuary, someone looked out and realized we were in the midst of heavy snow and wind. We sang two hymns and headed for home. I presume everyone made it. It was the usual exhilarating ride through poor visibility and snow pack. I actually kind of enjoy it because of the challenge and thrill. Hmmmmmm.

We also cancelled the meeting on Friday morning at which I was to speak about Paraguay. Izzy wondered why I would be speaking on Paraguay. The Christian Women of Paraguay organized and published the materials for the World Day of Prayer, which is on Friday. Their theme is "United under God's Tent." The following material is in the bulletin I received:

"It is wonderful to have the assurance that God receives us wherever and whenever we meet together in the Lord's name to pray. God's tent extends over all the places in the world where we are celebrating the World Day of Prayer service developed by the women in Paraguay."

Even though we will not be meeting because of the snow, we can join in these pray-ers in our own homes. And the men are also invited to join us!

Take care.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are getting the snow in Minneaplis too today. I just love it. I did go across the street to church for the Forum program. But at times Nicolett Ave is whited out. Love it. Fran.

Anonymous said...

We are getting the snow in Minneaplis too today. I just love it. I did go across the street to church for the Forum program. But at times Nicolett Ave is whited out. Love it. Fran.

Anonymous said...

We are getting the snow in Minneaplis too today. I just love it. I did go across the street to church for the Forum program. But at times Nicolett Ave is whited out. Love it. Fran.

Anonymous said...

I guess I don't haave the patience to know that my marvelous comments are going to be posted. Embarrassing. Fran.