Saturday, April 28, 2007

Gee Whiz!

Believe it or not, I AM still kickin'. What an experience. I am safe at home at the present, but an experience like I had certainly shook me up. At the present, every little twitch or blah feeling scares me.

Fran and I were walking along Nicollet Mall in Minneapolis, heading toward Barnes and Noble (surprise, surprise) when I started feeling very peculiar. (More peculiar than usual!) I was stuck into taking glances (like snapshots) of the buildings above me. I couldn't get on with my walk. I remember thinking, "When can I get on with it? I want to go to B&N!" A sweet woman who was walking along with us on the sidewalk asked if we needed help, Fran said yes, so the lady went into Barnes and Noble to get the police woman there. She brought a chair and called 911, and I was soon being well attended with 7 or eight uniformed people all around me taking my blood pressure, etc., etc. Call to Naomi, ambulance, trip to Fairview/Riverside hospital, Fran riding with in the front of the ambulance. 6 hours in ER later, up to a room.

I had all kinds of tests, not the least of which was an MRA/MRI. Not fun being stuck into a cigar like tube, but I managed to put myself into a sort of snooze while I was in the tube. Then an EEG. They put wires all over your head and make you look at bright blinking lights. Not fun, but the EEG was the test that finally showed them what was wrong. It seems I have a glitch of some sort in my brain. Many of you have suspected that for years, I'm sure! Anyway, What I had was a seizure caused by that glitch.... so now I am on a very expensive pill, twice a day, that will prevent a reoccurence of the experience. The trouble with that is that the pill also makes me sleepy and can make me grouchy. So, watch out!

I had an interesting experience being in the hospital. I cannot say enough good things about how I was treated, but I had a roommate when I entered that made my stay drama filled. She finally stalked out at midnight, cursing one and all. The staff had treated her very well as far as I could see, but nothing would satisfy her. Wow. Drama.

Got back to Naomi's. I was sort of still recovering, George has very painful sciatica, Then Naomi calls up the stairs for me to come down. She has stepped on a huge rusty nail! Luckily, before she went to Africa she had all the shots known to man, so we soaked her foot in hot salt water, the wound bled profusely, and she is stuck lying down with her foot up. What more could go wrong? We wait uneasily further happenings. Hopefully this is it.

Naomi's lawn is starting to look really nice. We are home safely. Great! Now, when I say "Take Care" Just know that I MEAN IT. Take care. I certainly put Fran and the rest of the family through an adventurous time. Thank you, one and all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about Naomi and the rusty nail. Talk about piling it on! Glad you are back home and doing ok. Fran.

Anonymous said...

I was so excited to see your posting. I have been getting in the house quite late each night so I did not dare to make any phone calls to get an update!

YOU CRABBY! NEVER! or at least not that I have seen.

Always an adventure to be sure!

Anonymous said...

Yeehaw ~ I have my exercise buddy back!!

Your version of "crabby or grouchy" I can handle! If you come to the gym with me you can "crab" at me anytime!!!!

Sorry to hear of Naomi's mishap. That's a bummer!

Izzy said...

vicki,
i am glad you are all fixed up and rarin' to go. maybe this new pill will add a new dimension to your blog writing, and, even works of art. you could enter your angry stage as an artist. i bet you could paint some pretty mean pears!
take care!
isaac

Kelly Glennon said...

Glad you're home and doing well Vicki! I have a feeling that you and I are a lot alike how we make light and joke about everything, but I'm sure that was very scary. Take care you!