Monday, June 04, 2007

Monday Morning Happiness



I am feeling good this morning, so I decided I should have a picture on my blog! This is the painting I chose because it is another of those that is hanging on the wall in the kitchen of the house featured on Naomi's blog. I DO like to paint pears, apparently... or fruit? Anyway.

I am warming up the bathroom preparatory to taking a shower. One of the absolute pamperings that I love is being able to heat the bathroom to a ridiculously hot temperature. I am especially cold blooded since being sick so it is even nicer. One of the things about living in a less developed country is that some of the things that many people take for granted you have learned to really appreciate. It is called "reverse culture shock." It is culture shock that you have as you move to the "foreign" country - but reverse culture shock as you come back home. There were many examples of this that we noticed.

I remember being shocked at the amount of carpeting we had in American homes. Now we have a high degree of hardwood floors, but 30 years ago everything seemed to be carpeted... even the CLOSETS. I thought it was so decadent until we went out and priced floor coverings and discovered that carpeting was the cheapest way to go and we carpeted our own closets!

And hot water running freely in all of the pipes. And soft toilet paper. And usuable paper towels that actually were soft and sturdy. Wow. And fine flour so I could make an Angel Food Cake. All of the differences were really minor, but built up one on top of the other until I felt completely overwhelmed with the sybaritic pleasures of the American home. I soon adjusted, but still understand that the best test of a place is living there for a while so that one looks past these surface things to the inner life of the place. That's where you find what's real.

Take care.

4 comments:

bananafish said...

I'm glad to hear you are feeling good! I am subbing today, so I'm happy to be making a little income! Have a fun day ma, love you

Anonymous said...

Amen to that sister!!!

I have been praying for the transition when Tim and Chris come home. I realized that just as going was a shock that coming back home would also be a shock. I only know because I experienced that when I came back from Trinidad. And you and I have talked how that wasn't even the same experience as the boys are having.

Hannah is excited because she starts driver training today and Daddy comes home! She has been an amazing little trooper!!!

Glad you are back to book club! Although I missed seeing you but I decided to get some much needed ironing done and hope to mow our lake lot and in town if the rain holds off.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you....it does not take long to appreciate the "luxuries" of home when you are abroad. We take for granted much of what we have. After all, "doesn't every one live like we do?"

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are feeling good. I do remember to be thankful for my water supply every time I take a shower. I hope our grandchilren will have the same water supply. Fran.