Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The beach


I like the soothing effect of water washing endlessly up onto the beach. There was a program on the History Channel tonight warning of the devastating effect Tsunamis could have on the West Coast. But for now, the beach is tranquil.

I have had an interesting few days. A sort of strange mixture of soothing times and stressful times. I was very excited to get back to the gym and have lots of talk and exercise with my friends. And then I took on the challenge of signing up for a new cell phone. I don't know why I chose today to do it, but I was convinced that I should get it done. Sigh. One of the things about my old cell phone was that it didn't work at my house. For some reason that was just a dead spot. The new one was purported to have circumvented that problem because it was reading the signals from a CDMA tower, while the old one was reading the signals from a TDMA tower. Got that? Well, I'm afraid it's a bunch of hooey and I'm signed up for a two year contract. I'm sure the phone will be fine, but I will still have to use the antenna. I should have smelled a rat, as they were so good to point out that my antenna would fit in the new phone. Well... we'll see how it goes. mutter, mutter.

It is always stressful getting to know new technology. At the phone store, I waited patiently because their printer wouldn't print. Luckily I had a book along with me so waited without stress. I always try to carry a book with me exactly for this type of emergency. I should have charged them by ten minute segments for waiting time which would have gone to alleviate some of my feelings of ire about the antenna use. Oh, well. mutter, mutter.

In my next posting I will undertake a critique of the new phone. I will have gotten past the necessity for the antenna on to other attributes. Hopefully that will be the only drawback.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

so glad to see your blog this morning. I expect to hear frm that new cell phone. Get some sleep. 1 AM!

Anonymous said...

cell phone semm to have become a necessary evil-love them yet curse them!

Anonymous said...

Yes, LOVE them as I can call my friends from anywhere in the country!!! I can get necessary calls made while enroute to and from work. I get fun text messages from my son and my daughter has constant access to me.

I don't really see a down side since I screen calls and shut it off when necessary.

I must say you looked rather spry at the gym today for staying up so late!!!

Izzy said...

cell phones shmell phones. i have one over here in japan. it only cost me 1 yen. it is awesome...having more features than most computers 15 years ago. however, the cell phones in japan cost a fortune to actually call someone. so basically i just use it for text-messaging.

until next time,
isaac

Anonymous said...

to my friends-please pray for my brother Gary-just found he has cancer! What a kick in the stomach>

Anonymous said...

What a great site, how do you build such a cool site, its excellent.
»