Saturday, July 15, 2006

Truck upright


I promised you a picture of the upright truck after the amazingly wonderful snapshot of the underpinnings. My world is brightly lit and upright. The heat of the day is not overpowering. We have just enough airconditioning to render life possible. All is well. Here in our little corner of the world, all is well.

The horrendous uproar in other parts of the world is unsettling. I look back over my life and it looks so serene. I'm sure I have had a few times when someone would like to throw a punch or two. They didn't do so because I am rather fierce when aroused and would probably fight to the death in return. It's amazing how effective that look is. The look that says, "Ok, fella, bring it on. I will never give up. Be prepared." It is off-putting, that fight to the death look. Especially when I really would... fight to the death.

But this only happens if someone attacks me first... or threatens to attack me or mine. I never would go on the offensive against some innocent person. Never.

One of the most interesting occasions in my life was the encounter I once had in St. Cloud with a young man who was approaching me in an isolated spot. I had separated from my friends to go to a store for larger sizes, and was walking to meet them at a restaurant. The man was slanting across the street toward me. I had a bad vibe.

Without thinking, I walked toward him and said, "It's been so long since I've seen you! Be sure to say hello to your mother!"

He took one amazed look at me and took off running. I've often wondered at this action of mine. It was entirely nonvolitional and unplanned. But it certainly worked. If he had been innocent, he would have said, "Do I know you?" Not run off. I think by introducing my script, I threw his script out the window and he couldn't think on his feet fast enough, so he just ran away.

I was lucky, pure and simple. Perhaps God gave me a nudge. For whatever reason, it worked. I would not recommend it to others!

But I am powerless to affect the mayhem in the world. I hate feeling powerless. So I guess I will just try to stay alive in my small peaceful niche, do my painting, write my blog, and stand upright by the truck.

5 comments:

Izzy said...

Awesome post!

that story was amazing! how did you think of saying that?

i have a question: did you live in brazil for a long time? if so, how did you come to be a spanish teacher and not portuguese?

keep on truckin',
isaac

Anonymous said...

I love your confrontation. 'Alice Steinbach had one in Rome but she just ran and yelled Yours is exquisite. Love you picutre , too. I know you were a Spanish teacher before you went to live in brazil. Right?

Vicki Larson said...

We lived in Brazil for five years. I was a Spanish major in college and qualified to teach Spanish. I would not have had the necessary certification to teach Portuguese. You know how important certification is, right? So I taught Spanish which was certainly ok. I LOVE Portuguese, though. It is the language closest to my heart. I think the reason I love it so much is that I can wave my arms around when I speak it. It fits my personality to a "T".

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»