Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Imagine a picture of....

a little boy in a swing at the amusement park. The kind that goes around endlessly in a circle. I have such a picture that I am trying to insert in this blog, but the blog is refusing to do its work. Oh, well, you have the idea.

The picture (which I can't show you) reminds me of a trip George and I and our nephews took to Riverfront Amusement Park in Des Moines, Iowa. That must have been at least 45 years ago. They had the same kind of ride only for adults as well as children. I had always loved carnival rides of every kind until that day. Around and around, no change in direction or speed - just around and around. I got sick as a dog and have never gone on a ride since. I do miss the Wild Mouse, the rollercoasters, the bumper cars, oh, the list could be endless. But then I remember that one seige of mal de ride, and I stay with both feet on the solid ground.

Sometimes I think everyday life can be like that ride. It feels as though one is endlessly going around in circles, never arriving, always doing the same old things day after day. That's when a vacation is in order before the barfing starts. If you are retired, it's time for a trip to the northwoods on an art vacation, RIGHT? Absolutely right. I have made up my mind to do the sensible thing. Camping, here we come. Wahoo. No barfing for me. No, sir. I'm going camping.

4 comments:

bananafish said...

Ilove it! "That's when a vaction is in order before the barfing starts"! Boy do I need a vacation! I am going to memorize this line and quote it often. It's simply brilliant.

Anonymous said...

I am with you-feet planted firmly on the ground always! Barfing and carnival rides go hand in hand with me.

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»