Thursday, January 11, 2007

Family Trip

We set out yesterday on a family trip. First to Jamestown, then to Yorktown. Fascinating to see where some of the battles of the Revolutionary War were fought, right? We noticed an inordinate number of police cars on the highway. When we got to Jamestown we were stopped and told that everything was closed (AND I MEAN EVERYTHING). Today we read that Dick Cheney and the governor of Virginia were involved in a special deal at Jamestown with all of the state senators, etc. Made the front page. WE did not get to see anything in Jamestown, however, but went to the Victory Center in Yorktown and had a great afternoon. Went on a tour of a facsimile army encampment and a farm of early days. Matt got to dress up in a minute man uniform and loved the experience. The cold was penetrating, but otherwise the meander was great.
After a while, I got lost from the rest and wandered through the galleries. I went to a movie about the early times. Then I managed to find the GIFT SHOP and, of course, the family thought to find me there. We reunited and "the kids" took us out to dinner. Wonderful. I ate some calamari as an homage to one of my favorite movies, Shirley Valentine. The food was great. Then home after a short stop at Ben and Jerry's!
{ A small aside: I want to make a plea for those of you who use modern technology. Please carry your cell phone on your person so that when another person tries to contact you using a cell phone, she can contact you. It does her no good left in the truck when there is no one in the truck! }
We had a wonderful time, even considering cell phone complaints, and made memories for a lifetime. Our little grandson is a trooper.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Vicki,
I am reading your blog to some of the gals...Colleen thinks that since you were a naughty girl and wandered away from your family that they shouldn't have taken you for ice cream, BUT instead to the drug store for castor oil. (Sharon said about the oil.) None of us were surprised that you wandered off when there was so much to see! Hope you see you soon!

Anonymous said...

I wandered off because it was COLD. SERIOUSLY COLD. I also just had a bite or two of George's ice cream. It was great. Where does the "castor oil" come in? Was that supposed to be disciplinary measure? We had to take codliver oil every day for health reasons as a kid, but I can't recall what the castor oil refers to. Oh, well... I'll just google it! Eager to see you all again soon.

Anonymous said...

The good news is that Vicki and George are back home in Evansville: The bad news is that their computer is not operational. Wait patiently for further notice. Fran

Anonymous said...

Miss Vicki made it safe and sound to the gym this morning (1/15) along with her daughter Naomi. I could be wrong but it seemed she was actually Happy to be back at the gym!?!

I found a horse head that whinnies for her favorite machine, she thought that was fun.

I know that she was taking her computer to the doctor today. We hope she is up a running soon.

Anonymous said...

Miss Vicki just called me on her phone and her computer is "crashed".

So. . . . We will keep you posted. She is looking for sympathy if you want to call her.

Sharon said...

When Barb read your blog at exercise we all laughed, everyone was waiting for you to get back.
The referance to castor oil was as opposite as I could think to ice cream. Remember the 3 little kittens, "then you shall have no pie"? I think ice cream was a better idea.