Thursday, October 04, 2007

customs

There are various differences in the treatment of injuries in each country. When we were living in Brazil, John broke his collarbone. I wish I had the patience to hunt up a picture of how he looked after his treatment. He had a full torso cast with his arm also encased at a right angle to his torso. For many weeks he existed in this manner, unable to do much of anything except walk and sit. As I remember it was his left arm, so at least he could write as he is right handed. It was a major health issue.
When we had returned to the States, he once again broke a collarbone playing football, I think. He went to the doctor and returned in just the same state as when he went. They had done NOTHING to the boy. I went and inquired as to what the treatment was. They said, oh, it would heal itself, but if I was not satisfied with that, they could rig up a sling that he could wear.
I was simply amazed at the difference in the treatments for the same injury. The collarbone did mend itself and all was well.
The trouble with the Brazilian treatment is that it affected so much of his boy-life. It kept him from sports and any other activities. Even sleep was difficult. Amazing.
When no treatment was probably the best way. At least, it seemed to work perfectly later.
I wonder if we complicate matters in other ways, when if we would just wait awhile, things would correct themselves. What do you think?
Take care.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you girl! Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow.

I also see how the medical field has drastically changed!

I broke my collarbone when I was little too. I had some kind of hard vest type thingy I had to wear. My Dad went into the doctors office with me because I wouldn't let go of his neck I was so afraid. Doctors offices have drastically changed too. They used to be cold, gray and non-friendly. Depressing.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if....it sounds as if something in your life is needing to be thought out before any action is taken.

I have always been the type to jump into action quickly and now as I get older I am finding that sometimes waiting out a situation is the best. Not always but sometimes.

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head KL. I HAVE to have time to think things over. I rarely ~ if ever ~ make a rash decision. I am getting better though. Used to be I would go to the store and find an outfit I absolutely loved and would Himm and Haww and go home to think about it and when I went back. . . . Yep, it was gone! Now I just ask myself ~ "what would Tim do?" And I buy 2!!!! It is so liberating!! And NO guilt either!

bananafish said...

Okay, here is my comment:
Comment!

Anonymous said...

Loretta, have you forgotten your broken leg that had to be rebroken to do it right. that was just because it was not your regular broken limb doctor for the first.
I have a long story to go with this thing -about my gall bladder operation. I went when it was just a slight pain -to emergency room. ˝Got right in had a stone lodged in a liver duct...taken care of. the the gall bladder removal. In my memoir class now a woman related her exact same thing which took three years out of her life until they found the stone in the liver duct. I was out of all in a week. I wore a little bag for another week until they were sure the liver duct was back in working order. I am all for prompt professional help. And I will stay away frm Brazil. love, Fran

Anonymous said...

You are always waiting for comments --Now you know why. I am a motormouth. Fran.

Anonymous said...

motormouths are welcome, too! The limb I had rebroken was an arm. I got deathly sick from the overdoing of anesthesia. Mom couldn't get the vomit out of my hair and had to cut my darling curls off my head. She was heartbroken as she loved my long curls. For many a long year I would get sick at a gas station because of the fumes. ah, memories.