Sunday, October 21, 2007

Memories - 2





Okeedoakee. I'm deep into remembering the basement. I have my studio in our basement, but it is such a different animal than the basement of my youth.

That basement was a wonderful place. Cement floors and unfinished walls were divided into various rooms. The great furnace was endlessly fascinating. It was filled with coal, the ashes had to be cleaned out periodically, and it was controlled by a simplistic little lever in the dining room wall just above.

Dad used it to melt lead in a long handled deal. Then he would pour the lead into molds to make lead soldiers. Now there is so much fuss over lead, but we didn't know the perils of that substance at the time.

I think I was about fourteen when I remember his taking a lump of iron and heating it in the furnace. He held it in a plier and put it as a red hot lump on an anvil. He hammered it, heated it anew and hammered again, until he had fashioned a knife. It took a long time to get it just right and to his requirements.

Now he had a hunting knife blade attached to an elongated piece. He cut circles of thick leather and threaded them over the elongated piece to make the handle, topping it off with a bolt that he told me was from his son-in-law's submarine. It was a hunting knife. He incised "L. Vick" on the side of the handle and gave it to me. It is one of my most valued possessions. I realized that people could make things for pleasure, but also for use. I must admit I have never actually gone hunting or used my knife, but every time I look at it I know the pleasure of being singled out for a gift. A gift that I had seen made from start to finish.

Take care.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved your story about Dad. In that newspaper item in the Madison Capitol Times when he retired --they mentioned his knife throwing to hit the bulls eye at his target at one end of the basement. One of his many hobbies.

Anonymous said...

In my memoirs for class I have written pages about Dad and I am working on those drafts. Be sure you read and edit. You should be publishing. Love, Fran

Anonymous said...

Actually, as I think about it, it was my brother who made the lead soldiers. I am trying to remember what we did with them ... did we paint them? I'm drawing a blank.

bananafish said...

Love the story about Grandpa, how cool. And by the way, your link is still on my blog, so RELAX!

Anonymous said...

How cool is that? Your dad actually made that knife!!

It was interesting to hear of your lead soldiers also.

There is this really big spider at the gym. It sits on the desk and one of lynette's clients made it for her. It is a hoot. Now that I have left you hanging you will absolutely HAVE to come to the gym on Wed to see what it is! GOTCHA!!

bananafish said...

mom, I think you need a new template with a new color background, I'm sick of the tan...

Anonymous said...

Vicki,
What a beautiful memory. Doesn't it just sort of captivate your heart when you recall meaningful moments with such clarity? I know it does me. Thanks for sharing that. I enjoy your writing.

Gretchen