Friday, October 19, 2007

Memories-1



I was six years old during the summer of 1936, which was one of the hottest summers on record. We moved cots to the basement and slept there, as it was long before the advent of air conditioning. We took most of our meals down there as well.

I have in my possession this creamer. I was responsible that summer for breaking the sugar bowl that went with it. It is interesting that I keep it, even though I still feel ashamed of my uncontrolled actions that caused the sugar bowl's demise. Nobody bawled me out or anything, but I felt a deep regret that now there was only one of the pair left. So I keep it as a sort of penance and a remembrance of the fun of living in the basement.

Conversely, the winter of 1936 was the coldest and snowiest for many years. One day I walked home from school and got stuck in the driveway. The snow came up to my waist and I could not get out. Eventually someone heard my cries and rescued me. My brother made many tunnels through the yard and would pull me on my sled through them all. They were not really tunnels, but more like halls in the snow, as they had no ceilings.

Be prepared for more memories, as I am in a remembering mode. I hope I trigger some memories in you. Take care.

4 comments:

bananafish said...

I don't remember ever seeing that little pitcher! It's beautiful--I love it! Don't sell it on e-bay, mom!

Anonymous said...

Strangely, I also still remember with regret and guilt and sadness that I broke a set of mixing bowls that nested into each other.
Carol

Anonymous said...

I love reading about your memories. Keep them coming!

Anonymous said...

You would be a smash at my Loft Class . I am writing my memoirs but I am more literaal than you. The teacher would love your writing as it has all the feeling that goes along with your remembering. You gives me ideas about some things I want to write about. This week's assignment is triggered by nature. Next is triggered by art and we are going to the Walker. Fran.