Saturday, October 06, 2007

When action is best - or not...



I am including a picture just because I like the looks of my blog best when I have a picture included. This is a painting that I entitled "You, too." It belongs to Naomi and Tony as a gift from Tony's mom.

As an addendum to the question that I posed to you in my last blog, when is it best to act and when is it better to contemplate and wait a bit? The most difficult thing about painting is when is the painting done? When should one quit? That is a sort of corollary to the question I posed about life - and collar bones.

Sometimes the need for immediate action is obvious. Someone gets hurt right in front of us and we are obligated to assist. But sometimes the need for playing a waiting game should be obvious. When a teenager gets in to trouble, should his parent rush to assist him/her, or let him/her stew in the difficulties to learn that there are consequences to actions. It is easy to rush in too soon. We all have needed the wisdom of Solomon during the growing up years of our children.

Now, I have the luxury of worrying about whether it is time to stop painting... the painting is finished.... or not???????? And the endless little things related to health issues. Should I go and have my symptom checked out or wait awhile. Hm? Each thing should be decided on its own merits is what I have decided. Hopefully we all make the right decision. Take care.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could hardly imagine a painting of the many sides of Vicki's personality! One day she is "fiesty" then she get philosophical, and contemplative, but always tenderhearted as a foundation! How would you paint that in one painting?? Interesting thought!

I too base things on their own merits. Every situation is different. I have told our kids that you will NOT be treated the same! A. One is a boy and one is a girl. B. They are six years apart. C. They mature at different speeds, so to say "at such and such an age" you can do this or that is not practical. It depends on the maturity of the kid, where they are going, what they are doing, blah, blah, blah. I weigh out merits like that for other situations as well, medical, financial, and others.

I want everyone to know they should click on the picture on Vicki's blog and look at it closely. I found the "j" and the "2" and the "G". How fun!! Hope you are painting up a storm. You are soooooo good at it!

Anonymous said...

I hope you aren't thinking of giving up painting. Why? Too difficult to get to your art room.? Of course I think you should make your second bedroom into your studio. You have two large beds in that downstairs bedroom for guests. How many have you had this year? Overnight guests?
I will come and with your friends make this move with you. Otherwise just sit in your chair and read or sleep. Love, Fran.

bananafish said...

Hey Mom, I know, it is hard to know when to act or when to wait. This job search has a lot of moments like that.

Anonymous said...

On further thought I realize noone can tell anyone else when and where and what. Of course that doesn't stop me from doing it. I once decided I was too old to do anymore rug hooking. Packed up the stuff and took it to Janiece and gave a class about it on their back patio. One year later, Janiece enrolled me in a rug hooking class near them in Ohio and I have hooked maybe two large and three smaller rugs --no more than that...I have a tendency to decide I am too old for this or that. Gave up my car when I moved here. Shaky move for someone who loves to drive. So far I haven't had any regrets on that. But make every effort to keep painting. My advise. Love, Fran.

Anonymous said...

Now that is a beautiful painting, Vicki. Carol

Anonymous said...

I hate it when I see a flagrant spelling mistake sticking out there ..It is advice that I advise. Fran.

Anonymous said...

I never can keep my brain from chewing on stuff. I now have your Vicki room made into an art studio. I think you did do some paintng there, didn't you?. The painting you portray here is so beautiful.... Your basement studiois fine but I think it would be more inviting if it could be more accessable to do a bit and then doze a bit. Anthing to keep the painting going. Anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Fran, I have an older sister like you. Good thing I live over an hour from her. . . that way we stay friends. My other sister Karla has moved near her though and for Karla ir is a challenge to keep command of her own life without Sue taking over. She means well but never shuts her mind off with worry over others.

I think the Vicki room as a studio might be a wise move though. I can definitely see the merit to "paint a little" ~ "snooze a little"!! Or something like that.


Are we past four yet?

How was the play Vicki?