Thursday, August 17, 2006

Marshmallows

I mentioned that we had s'mores while camping. I don't really like s'mores, but I love toasting marshmallows. When I was in high school I spent many a night alone as my folks both worked at night and would come home usually around 10. I got bored, so between studies, I would adjourn to the kitchen for a little fun.

One of the things I loved doing was to light a candle, take out a little fork, and toast marshmallows. Heaven knows how many I would do! I would slowly burn, blow out, burn, blow out, until the outside was thoroughly burnt. I would envelope the marshmallow in my mouth and slip off the outer layer. Then I would proceed to do the same to the remainder. Three sessions was about par for the course, but a brilliant session could result in four. Just imagine how much time I could "burn" with half a sack of marshmallows.

Well, last night I got out the candle, lit it, got a tiny pickle fork, and tried out my expertise. I had enough carbs left to do four without blowing my blood sugar too high. Talk about a walk down memory lane.

Amy is the best toaster I have ever witnessed. She can toast for a long time without burning and without losing the marshmallow into the fire. I have tried to include a picture with this blog, did not succeed, so I will try to do the marshmallow picture tomorrow.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I used to use the gas burner on Mom and Dad's gas stove in the winter! But you were much more advanced than I getting to "re" toast the inner layers! I was content to burn the outside and that was it!

Hannah was making waffles when I got home ~ so I got a waffle HOT off the iron! What a sweet girl!!

Anonymous said...

I have been "doing" Nicolette Ave. Farmer's Market. Tired and revitalized with your blog. Living near the lake, camfires were the thing we did for recreation in my day. marshmallows
blakcening on the fire were what came after toasting weiners or frankfurers as the visiting Chicogoans called the hot dogs.Fran

bananafish said...

Yum. N