Saturday, October 28, 2006

Art is Great

We drove directly to the Art Institute with nary a problem. It's wonderful how helpful it is to have the city map. Then we spent about five hours looking at art. We went to the special show they have and then around to look at the regular offerings. Fantastic. I looked up the Modiglianis... Turns out they have one of his sculptures, too. The painting is not one of my favorites.. but it was still fun to see it again.

We saw some spectacular textiles, and African, Japanese, Chinese, you name it Art. What a collection they have. And then I know that they have LOTS of other things hidden away and stored. A wonderful asset to our fair state is the Minneapolis Institute of Art. Yessir.

We watched two movies last night. One from Netflix and one that Fran has on videotape: The Man Who Would Be King with Michael Caine and Sean Connery, and My Cousin Vinny with Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei. The first one was intense and the last a hoot. Great double feature. When I was in high school most of the theatres would offer double features... now we can watch almost anything right from our own homes. And we can have as many features as we want.

Today we will hang out and also take a trip down the street to Target. It's supposed to be a beautiful day, so we are going to savor it. Most of the restaurants have removed their tables and chairs from the sidewalks, but perhaps they will put them out again for a perfect Saturday. I will report on our peregrinations later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I did find a few more books we had read by paging through things. I'm looking for another notebook which will have more. Yes we have done well, not missed a month.
I'm envious of all the art you are seeing. Well, I COULD do it too if I would stay in Mpls a few days with Sharon.
Where are you getting all your NRG?
Yesterday I was in Morris and they are having a wonderful Silent Auction next week. Everybody should go. Everyone will be dressed to the nines (where did that expression come from?) and many of us members have taken home one of the wonderful wooden serving trays made by a member, home to paint. I decoupaged mine with Martha Stewart stuff. The event is called, appropriately, Tray Chic! And you should see the trays, they are fabulous. And then they are having many many more things, about a zillion, on the silent aution from all over, and hors d'oeuvres and wine, a band, they are going whole hog for this thing. Vicki will you please go with me? It's Thursday.