Monday, October 02, 2006

Adios, sayonara and adieu


This is the place that Naomi met us for hamburgers yesterday. She had an errand in Delano, so we met there for our farewells. If you're there during the summer months, be sure to check it out. The food is good and the place is fun, a sort of merry little picnic/play ground and drive-in.

Saying our goodbyes was not easy. As I type this she is at the airport checking in for their flight to Amsterdam. She and Tony will stay there overnight and then head for their four month stay in Africa. She is off telephone. AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH.
How did people say goodbye to their family members years ago? When they would, in all probability, never see each other again. Most of us are descendents of the early immigrants. We listened to their stories with no appreciation for their feelings of separation from the known.

When I was 40, Naomi was two months old, John was five, and we set out for several years stay in Brazil. I can see my mother and father as they huddled in the driveway as we rushed out, threw our stuff in a neighbor's car and sped to the airport. The folks waved as we left. The cab we had hired did not show up, so we were lucky enough to get a ride. I think it was about 5:30 am, and we needed to get the airport post haste.

I was all taken up in the emergency situation, and didn't give a thought to my mother and father and their feelings. What did my mother think? She must have thought I was completely nutso. But she never let on. She wished us on our way.

I will miss the chance to pick up the phone and talk to Naomi, but she has a blog, there is e-mail, there IS communication. I also am very happy for Naomi and Tony that they have this opportunity for adventure. But, STILL. I will miss them. sigh.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found you again, the wonder of google! I got to your homepage again and clicked the link and there you are! I am so excited!

Anonymous said...

You went to Brazil for five years not four months. And Dad died while you were gone. Communication was so very different then. Snail mail we had but couldn't send packages of any kind and expect them to arrive.

Anonymous said...

great picture of you two. You have such good pictures lately. I have run into some where you look like your own grandmother..

Anonymous said...

The great picture comes from those snazzy, fashionable chic clothes she updated her wardrobe with!!! Not to mention the buff body she now has to go with those clothes!!!