Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Oh Happy Day

November 15 is my husband's birthday. In Brazil it was also a special holiday. As a result, everyone was off work and would come to celebrate his birthday. I became expert at entertaining in my offbeat imitation of Brazil style. As I didn't have family and my hired girl also took the day off, it being a holiday, afterall, I was left to entertain as best I could. At that time in Brazil no one used either paper plates or cups. Everyone was to be entertained at a sit-down table in the dining room on china. Both sweets and sandwiches were required. As one year we had over 75 guests, I was put through my paces! I made a wonderful rich tort from devil's food cake (we had to take care not to mention that name, or no one would have eaten it!) and butter cream frosting. Layer after rich layer. And endless open face sandwiches, and coffee and pop and other goodies. EVerything produced by yours truly.

I learned how to wash dishes in a flash which was interesting as the spigot in the sink was only three inches from the bottom of the sink so you could not fill a pan there, you had to go to the bathtub spigot. No hot water, either, so you had to heat it in a tea kettle. I could wash more dishes with less water than seems possible now. All the time being extremely jolly in a language I had to work to understand not only speak.

It left me with an extreme appreciation of what is possible for me do if Iampushed to it. It also left me with an aversion to entertaining. I suppose I could still do it if I was pushed to, but I really don't find it one of my favorite things.

We are planning a quiet day. We will meander to Alexandria, perhaps. Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated birthday to Pastor George. George is a man that deserves respect and homor. Getting to visit with him has always been a joy for me.