Sunday, December 03, 2006

Painting revisited....



I took this painting to the gym (in its old form) and as we all were looking at it, I started to see that I had not yet finished it. So, I took it home and started in, and this is the new painting which I think IS finished. We'll see. The rule of thumb is that once you have signed a painting it is finished, but since when have I ever followed any rule of thumb!

My newest challenge is to learn to use a hoola hoop. They have weighted ones at the gym that look so easy to use. Right. The girls all encourage me, cajole me and generally give me the business because I don't try enough. It's a bit like the belly dancing. My old stodgy body is not very flexible. If I should ever succeed, I will let loose with a yell which will be like the "shula" that the Norwegian girl sang at the concert. A loud and piercing call that can be heard for miles (literally). Of course, that is another skill that I would have to develop then. It should be easier, however, than the hula hoop, which seems to be down-right impossible.

Church today was great. A baptism, communion, good sermon ... and then the choir got to sing a wonderful anthem: "Jesus, What a Beautiful Name." Then George took me for dinner to the local bistro. I have had a great day. Hope you had one, too.

We'll be thinking of Karen l and her husband as they begin their trip to Africa tomorrow. Hope all goes well and they enjoy getting to know a completely different part of the world.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like your new rendition. It does look like a dance...a Line Dance? As you see my keyboard is working again. F.

Izzy said...

if it makes you feel any better, i can't hoola hoop either. i never have been able to. it is sad.

Anonymous said...

WOW! Looks like a great change to your painting! Not that it wasn't "great" to start with.

Missed you this morning. It was full at the gym.

Anonymous said...

taking the eyes out of the protoplasm changes the whole thing. why did you do that?
Minneapolis had a dusting of snow this morning.

Vicki Larson said...

I took the eyes out because I didn't want a cartoon like painting. I think this is more lush and more agreeable. I also like the change in color. It seems way more interesting to me and is expressing more what I feel. And, "I da boss" as one of my painting teachers said!