Friday, February 16, 2007

Special Day


Today is Naomi's birthday. We celebrated with her when she was here. Jessie and Sadie also have birthdays in February, so we had a grand blow-out, as you can see! The little girls (Dru was here, too) didn't want to blow out the candles. But to eat the cake, it seemed necessary!
On this day I am remembering the day of N's birth. The night before, George and I with our son were watching television with Grandma and Grandpa. It was a movie with Don Knotts playing an astronaut. Gradually I became aware that I needed to take a trip to the hospital to get a bit of work done! We were on our way to Brazil, waiting for our visas and staying with my folks in Florida. We had thought we would be in Brazil for the big event, but the visa people dragged their feet and there we were, still in Florida. I must say I was glad. To be able to communicate with your doctor and nurses ranks high in my appreciation of a hospital stay.
My doctor kept telling me I was "elderly." I was 40. That seems the accepted thing, now, but at that time it WAS elderly for having a baby. My mom was 40 when she had me, too, so it must run in the family. All went well, but we stayed in the hospital for four days as Naomi needed special light treatment for jaundice. I had many roommates in that four days as it was a two person room. One woman came in in the morning and left before the evening meal! But the old lady stayed a full four days!
The whole experience is one of the most memorable ones of MY life. My folks were so gracious to give us room for the several months we stayed there waiting for our visas. John went to kindergarten in Bradenton. Naomi was two months old when we finally continued on our journey. The first night we stayed in Miami. Our motel was right on the water, and outside the window we could see the Onassis yacht! Naomi had an ear ache, so we stayed in the room looking at the yacht, while John and George went swimming in a pool that was on the roof of the motel. The next day we four intrepid travellers were off to our adventures in Brazil. and so on, and so on, and so on!
Happy Birthday, kid! You're the greatest!

4 comments:

bananafish said...

Thanks mom, and thanks for 36 years of love, support, laughs, and everything else. You two are the best!

Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day Naomi! I am sure you had an interesting life with your mother!

Vicki I am so glad I got to hear your story about your doctor at the gym. It is hilarious!!!! And you tell it so well!

Glad you have your blog back!

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful recollection of a special day. Isn't it so that mothers can recall the day as if it were yesterday(well not that near)?
I can imagine that having you as a mother was nothing but the greatest-How lucky John and and Naomi are! as is George for having a great mother for his children.

Anonymous said...

Well . . . . we commented and now I believe you are supposed to enter another blog. How about showing everyone what you have been working on? I would love to see it (your Christmas Tree)

See you Thursday