Saturday, May 26, 2007

An Apple?



As Magritte would say, this is not an apple, it is a picture of a painting of an apple. Right. You might notice that the painting hangs just below a stopper for a stove pipe and above a clock.... in a house that was built in 1900.

Talking about this reminds me of old houses. As a child I loved it that the "register" in my bedroom was just an opening to the room below. As heat rises, that took care of heating my room. The fun part of it was that it meant I could eaves drop on what was going on. I don't remember much of what I heard, but just the idea was enough to entertain.

My brother also taught me how to walk so no one would see me. Really. The trick was just to pretend that you were just where you were supposed to be, not to run quickly. The folks would have parties in the living room and to walk from the stairs to the kitchen, one had to walk right out in the open where everyone could see you. If you sneaked in any way, that would draw someone's eye, but if you just walked as though you owned the universe, no one would notice. At that time I was about three feet tall, and I mastered the technique perfectly.

I have one sister and one brother and I send a shout-out to them. We are remarkably long lived, or as I used to kid, "We're long livers." Onward and upward.

Take care!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading your thoughts-it is so entertaining!

As I live in an old house I too always wonder what these walls could tell if only they had the ability to speak.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Anonymous said...

Where was this taken and is that your painting of an apple? Remember the chimney going through our bedroom? And the porch off our bedroom? Fran.

Anonymous said...

Miss Vicki!

I too grew up in an OLD house that had a register in our bedroom. Ours was right above the kitchen. Mom and Dad used to have card parties with the neighbors once in awhile and was that ever fun to listen to!!

Your painting looks wonderful!!